Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 200-5250 ALL in ONE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer has not been used for 3 months and was shut down. Upon power up the system appeared to boot and was sitting at the login screen. Keyboard and the mouse were not recognized and had no affect on the login page. Did all the typical checks on keyboard and mouse as suggested by HP. Did many power downs and ups to no avail. Tried wired keyboard and mouse also to no avail.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

3 months can be a lifetime for batteries, try new batteries in the wireless keyboard and mouse(wipe the battery contacts with a dry cloth);

Remove the dongle for the wireless keyboard and mouse and try in a different usb slot, or pull it out, count to 10 and reinsert it.

If you use the wired keyboard and mouse, remove the dongle for the wireless keyboard and mouse and plug in the wired and reboot.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

New batteries were installed at the start of the problem along with cleaning contacts.

There are no dongles on this model they are internal. I did try another wireless keyboard and mouse with dongles and wired keyboard and mouse pulled from another operating computer.

Thanks for the input

HP Recommended

Given everything you've said so far I would run Windows Update first (which will probably solve the issue), then try a Repair.

To do that, first see if your keyboard works during boot. They often do even when not working after loading Windows.

Then try interrupting loading Windows by restarting in the middle of booting 3x in a row may bring you to a recovery screen where you can Update.

HP Recommended

The keyboard does not respond during boot.

Get to the HP screen first and tried keyboard no workie.

Next starting Windows boot can't interrupt it either.

Tried interrupting the boot with the power button 3x...4x and 5x. no good

Thanks for more input...We will get there eventually.

HP Recommended

hmm have you toggled the on/off switch on the bottom of the keyboard and mouse? 🙂

Might wanna try a USB mouse and keyboard. If they work then we know where to start.

HP Recommended

Yes

Going to pick up usb mouse and keyboard today.

Let you know what happens

Thanks again for the input

HP Recommended

OK the usb mouse and keyboard got me in...Still don't have use of the wireless keyboard or mouse... Tried to find a restore point but they be non existent. Are there drivers out there I can down load? Got some other things missing (apps) but I can fix that .

Thanks for your input

HP Recommended

Get within 12 inches of the internal receiver and try the following:

Check that the mouse is on (A), and push and hold the Connect button (B) on the underside of the mouse for 5 to 10 seconds until the LED on the receiver lights or stops flashing. The receiver connection session times out after 60 seconds.

To ensure that the connection was established, and that the receiver did not time out instead, move the mouse and check for a response on the screen.

After the mouse connection is established, continue by using the steps that follow to repeat the procedure for the keyboard.

Push and hold the Connect button (C) on the underside of the keyboard for 5 to 10 seconds until the LED on the receiver lights or stops flashing.

HP Recommended

LED's ? Where are they located? I have performed the button push numerous times but did not see any LED.

Thanks for the input...We are almost there!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.