Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP19-2113W
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have down loaded the Bios for my computer but cannot access the legacy usb drive to load it.  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

[Dr Rick Finney]

I'm not trying to steal Paul's customers/glory (private joke - HP experts) ...

Whleeper, do a net (internet) search for: HP recovery bios tool USB ... using google, go-duck or whatever you use.

It should produce references to a recovery/bios-upgrade USB (stick) utility (application), with links - probably to some quiet corner of HP's servers. Download it and run-it, with a new USB thumbdrive/stick in your computer - even if windows is busy ignoring it. The HP recovery/installation software is not Windows OS dependent (will work anyway).

Alternatively try this: In Control Panel (Windows), find DEVICE MANAGER. Start it and locate your USB drivers - towards the top of the USB group should be: Universal PCI to USB Driver ...

Open it, select properties (sub menu), then try "Update Driver".   This might work (does not for Win 10X).

While there look for any USB related objects that have a yellow triangle/malfunction tag. Open those and follow the same procedure. Should work, but does not in Win 10X.

If it does not work, try the "uninstall" for each problem object; then shut-down and reboot ... followed by going to Windows Update (to see if it correctly re-installs working drivers).

Good luck, keep well.

Rick.

HP Recommended

@Whleeper 

I don't understand why you need to access a USB stick for a BIOS update.

HP distributes their BIOS updates as self-extracting ARCHIVE files that you run, from inside Windows, to do the update.

IF you got a different file elsewhere, we can not help you with that and forcing its usage is risking trashing your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The reason I need to load a Bios from a USB is that I had to replace the HDD and found the Legacy drives were no longer accessible in the F9 load screen.  The virus reset my bios making it impossible to load from any legacy or HDD drive.  I need a key stroke way to load a new bios and then load an  OS on to the HDD.

HP Recommended

PS>the PC is unusable as is.  any suggestions?  It will start but I cannot load anything to the HDD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.