Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Workstation Z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to install windows 7 enterprise (64) on a Z820. 

it won't see the drive in raid at all for the LSI SAS 2308. So windows won't see the  RAIDED drives

I have downloaded every driver on the "software & driver" page for the LSI SAS 2308 driver, PLUS the ones that are not for the hell of it. 

i tried the ones that are "hidden" casue they are not for my system for the fun of it. I google "LSI SAS 2308 drivers" downloaded one from Dell adn tried that.

no matter what i do it won't see the drives.

the only one it see is the " LSI adpater, SAS2 2308 Mustang-storport (lsi_sas2.inf)  but it won't work. it tries then fails EVERYTIME!!

i have never had one been such a pain before! 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

the only other thing i wanted to add, and forgot is:

i am rebuilding this system, cause it was very slow, and was since new . it had the "OEM" version of windows on it in raid.  so i am not sure if it is having more problem than this, that i am not aware of. it appears to be working normal, but no diagnostic has been run yet

HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try the Intel RSTe driver?

I have zipped it up and attached two varieties below...Try them both...

HP Recommended

thanks Paul.  I was hoping you would answer, as i saw you reply in other forum post near to this one.

i just tried both ( i thin i tried an iastorA before) this time to my surpise in did show for each ONE matching driver, but neither would load. 

i am stuck in the same situtation.  why the RSTe sriver when it is SAS, BTW?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I was hoping the Intel driver would work.

I have read many posts from forum members that are asking for drivers for one of the model SAS controllers when they actually needed the Intel one.

Unfortunately I don't know why none of the drivers you tried or I suggested work.

I think the only way to get to the bottom of this would be for you to see if you can install W10 and then get the hardware ID from the SAS controller, so we can figure out exactly which driver you need.

Use this guide to find the hardware ID if you are not familiar with finding it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

Once we know that, we can find the right driver, and if it is one of those you tried, then I suggest you order a set of W7 recovery disks from HP, which have all the necessary drivers pre-loaded.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul for getting back to me so fast.

I have installed windows 10. (long story short, my user would like to keep windows 10, but i have many z820 so i want answers)

i don't think i need to get you the hardware ids (but can if need). right when i go into "device manger" under "storage controllers" i have 3 of them

they are:

intel C600 seriese raid contoller (you are right)

LSI apdater SAS 2308 Mustang.(why it won't work??)

Microsoft storage spaces controller

what are you thought? i can reistall 7 for testing. my user is not in a rush

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I need the actual hardware ID's so I can see what is what.

For example you posted that the first one's description is the intel C600 series raid contoller (not SAS Raid), but the hardware ID's in the second attachment I posted are these...

[INTEL.NTamd64]
;
;;; SCU Device IDs
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D60
%Intel_SATA_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D61
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D62
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D63
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D64
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D65
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D66
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D67
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D68
%Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D69
%Intel_SATA_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6A
%Intel_SATA_RAID.Desc% = Intel_SCU_iaStorS_Inst,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B

But the description is only one of these two...

Intel_SAS_RAID.Desc    = "Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller"
Intel_SATA_RAID.Desc   = "Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID (SATA mode)"

So if the hardware ID for the intel C600 series raid contoller is different than any of the above, then the Intel driver I posted is no good.

Or did you leave out the word SAS?

HP Recommended

Hi,

no i did not leave out SAS. here are some screen shots of the controllers

let me know.

thanks again

image1.pngimage2.pngimage3.pngimage4.png

HP Recommended

OK.

As far as I can tell, the driver you needed to install should have been the first one I posted (iaStorA).

That matches the hardware ID for the Intel C600 RAID controller.

HP Recommended

thanks again Paul,

Ya it makes no sense !? the SAS ones would not install either using windows 7 DVD or USB.

with windows 10, no issue.  

technically at my work we don't support Win10 at this time, but since we are research we can get away with it on some systems. that's why i have the ISO.

i am not sure what else i can do. in this case the user is able to move on to win10, but some may not. . is it a fluke with this one Z820, a problem that will come out later....who knows??

I hate not knowing.

as a side question  how/what did you match between the IDs and driver? how did you see it?

thx 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.