Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I try to get going it takes 5 to 30 minutes after each click to get something to happen.  Turn on computer and get HP symbol.  Wait and wait and eventually hear the Window chime followed by "please wait".  Wait a long time and eventually get the Windows photo, time and date.  Hit space bar and wait a long time and it asks for password.  Give it and then wait another 20 to 30 minutes and if I'm lucky I get my home screen.  But even then if I click on something I may or may not get a response.

So, is the CPU ROM malfunctioning??  Is it not moving fast enough???  What can I do?  Not sure I can even back up files at this pont.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI,

Tough to assist because there are so many causes for your problem.

Some causes are:

Hardware issues such as a slow platter HDD, or limited RAM, or Legacy CPU and chipset due to the age of your PC,

Operating system clutter, or many startup programs running in the background,

Malware

Try to backup data. Do a clean W10 install to see how things go.

Replace the HDD with a SATA SSD or add more RAM.

Buy a new HP PC

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HI,

Tough to assist because there are so many causes for your problem.

Some causes are:

Hardware issues such as a slow platter HDD, or limited RAM, or Legacy CPU and chipset due to the age of your PC,

Operating system clutter, or many startup programs running in the background,

Malware

Try to backup data. Do a clean W10 install to see how things go.

Replace the HDD with a SATA SSD or add more RAM.

Buy a new HP PC

Regards

HP Recommended

By the age of the pc it is probably the hard drive.  A new solid state drive is cheap and worth a try,. If it doesn't work you can always use it again.  If you feel confident you could try changing it yourself and keep the old one as backup. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to install drives and copy  or reinstall software.

HP Recommended

Have now replaced hard drive.  All is working again.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Good, no need to always buy new stuff. Good luck with all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.