cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
wfogleman
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Logging in and getting computer to run has become extremely slow.

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I try to get going it takes 5 to 30 minutes after each click to get something to happen.  Turn on computer and get HP symbol.  Wait and wait and eventually hear the Window chime followed by "please wait".  Wait a long time and eventually get the Windows photo, time and date.  Hit space bar and wait a long time and it asks for password.  Give it and then wait another 20 to 30 minutes and if I'm lucky I get my home screen.  But even then if I click on something I may or may not get a response.

So, is the CPU ROM malfunctioning??  Is it not moving fast enough???  What can I do?  Not sure I can even back up files at this pont.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI,

Tough to assist because there are so many causes for your problem.

Some causes are:

Hardware issues such as a slow platter HDD, or limited RAM, or Legacy CPU and chipset due to the age of your PC,

Operating system clutter, or many startup programs running in the background,

Malware

Try to backup data. Do a clean W10 install to see how things go.

Replace the HDD with a SATA SSD or add more RAM.

Buy a new HP PC

Regards

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
4 REPLIES 4
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI,

Tough to assist because there are so many causes for your problem.

Some causes are:

Hardware issues such as a slow platter HDD, or limited RAM, or Legacy CPU and chipset due to the age of your PC,

Operating system clutter, or many startup programs running in the background,

Malware

Try to backup data. Do a clean W10 install to see how things go.

Replace the HDD with a SATA SSD or add more RAM.

Buy a new HP PC

Regards

stevecomputer
Level 5
321 318 13 52
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By the age of the pc it is probably the hard drive.  A new solid state drive is cheap and worth a try,. If it doesn't work you can always use it again.  If you feel confident you could try changing it yourself and keep the old one as backup. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to install drives and copy  or reinstall software.

wfogleman
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have now replaced hard drive.  All is working again.  Thanks.

stevecomputer
Level 5
321 318 13 52
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good, no need to always buy new stuff. Good luck with all.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation