Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

my resetted win 10 pc has the following problem. it has not been connected to the internet since reset, i unistalled mcaffe and windows defender prompted me to enable it, which i did. if i try to restart, i get a message that mcaffee is doing something and i should cancel restarting and wait until mcaffee finishes what it is doing and mcafee will notify when this is completed. so, i cancel and return to windows, but mcafee never notifies me of anything and it f i try to restart i get the same mcafee message. at restart screen i can select restart anyway. so, what do i do? do i select restart anyway, will that damage windows?

Here is what I get I I try to restart:

Clossing 1 app and restarting
To go back and save your work, Click Cancel and finish what you need to.

McAfee Vulnerability Scanner
Vulnerability Scanner is installing updates. Please don't shutdown or restart your PC. We'll let you know when we're done.

Restart anyway Cancel

Regards,

Sint

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would just click "rstart anyway", and allow it to reboot.

Although you have deleted the software, a part of it currently is still loaded into your RAM, because that software was loaded from your disk-drive before you deleted the software.

After the reboot, there may be some residual "cleanup" that will be done to remove the final remnants of McAfee.

No big deal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I would just click "rstart anyway", and allow it to reboot.

Although you have deleted the software, a part of it currently is still loaded into your RAM, because that software was loaded from your disk-drive before you deleted the software.

After the reboot, there may be some residual "cleanup" that will be done to remove the final remnants of McAfee.

No big deal.

HP Recommended

I see. Thanks.

I also found this: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-GB&_afrLoop=13743022179776...!

It says that mcaffee does not always gets removed by using the conventional built-in uninstall windows tools, and mcaffee provides their own uninstallation tool, a tool called MCPR. So, what do I do, I just restart, to allow mcaffee to complete its uninstallation and if that does not happen, I then run this mcaffee MCPR tool? Not sure if it applies to my mcaffee version that came installed with the HP PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I will reboot and let mcaffee finish its uninstallation and do any cleanup it may do. And your reply makes sense, I never thought of what you said. That processs does look as a residue process and should be removed at reboot.

If mcafee processes remain after reboot, I will investigate the issue further and see what I will do.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.