Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-506PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Norton security did a memory backup and now my desktop will not boot. Getting a Memory Failure OG8421-7J3ANT-OG8421-4ONPO3 Memory Module 2.   Dimm2. Where do I go from here? Just replace the Memory board, and is it just that simple?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, it is that simple.

Here is a link to help you open up the PC to replace the memory...

Removing and Replacing the Side Panel in HP Pavilion 500 Desktop PCs | HP® Customer Support

Here is the link to the Crucial memory report for your PC.

They have compatible memory for sale...

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 500 series | Pavilion 500-506 | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Paul I Replaced the memory card and it’s taking me back to the same screen. Windows will not boot, ran another check and everything passed. It will not let me get into safe mode to run a sfc. I’m lost?

HP Recommended

I'm lost too.

I've replaced faulty memory many times, and never had a problem with the replacement memory I purchased.

Did you buy the model Crucial memory that was recommended for your PC in the report?

What happens if you install the memory in the other slot (if it is empty)?

HP Recommended

I put 16gb in 2 cards instead of just the one, I upgraded to Viper gaming cards, by Patriot. Not sure if that would be the problem, but what do I know! I like the lifetime warranty. It’s a friends PC thought it would speed it up for her.

HP Recommended

OK, so you installed 2 x 8 GB of gaming memory as I understand it?

Normally you can't use gaming memory, because it has faster timings than the standard memory, and you can't adjust the memory timing (XMP) in the BIOS.

If you can return the memory, get two of the Crucial 8 GB chips listed in the report I posted the other day.

I don't see that Patriot makes standard DDR3L memory chips.

HP Recommended

Paul I’m getting an error code boot failure, what did Norton security do to this PC . A simple file backup destroying my Ram and screwing the boot process, will be calling them tomorrow. Thanks for your time, much Appreciated 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that seems rather coincidental that both the memory and drive/operating system should go out at the same time.

HP Recommended

@SmokinT -- Memory Module 2

Memory Module 1 is usually closer to the CPU than Memory Module 2. Be sure to replace the correct stick of RAM.

Or, remove one of the 2 sticks, and start-up your computer, to see if you get the same error-message.

If it boots correctly, shutdown, and remove the "good" stick, and insert the other stick, and start-up,  to see if you get the same error-message.

Note that most sticks of RAM have a tiny SPD ("Serial Presence Detect") chip. The values on the chip include something like:

Timing table
Frequency CAS# Latency RAS# To CAS# RAS# Precharge tRAS tRC Voltage
JEDEC #1 444.4 MHz 6.0 6 6 16 23 1.500 V
JEDEC #2 592.6 MHz 8.0 8 8 22 30 1.500 V
JEDEC #3 666.7 MHz 9.0 9 9 24 34 1.500 V

indicating that the RAM will operate at a few "slower" speeds than advertised. 

I would not worry about using "faster-than-supported-by-the-motherboard" sticks of RAM.

It does help if both of your sticks come from the same manufacturer, and have the same "timing table" values.

It's also possible that the 2nd socket in your motherboard is damaged, no matter what RAM is inserted into the socket.

So, try a start-up, leaving that socket "empty", with any one of the sticks of RAM that you now have into the 1st socket.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.