Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-In-One 23-q214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, could someone please help me?

My all in one HP Pavillion keeps on shutting off every now and then by itself. I was maybe thinking it was the power supply but i honestly don't know. If anyone knows why this is happening or where i can buy a new power supply. I will appreciate it so much. Please and Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Dear Moderately Hot Pick-up driver...

You could put an Eidlebrook highriser and Holly 850 quad - twin pumper, on the computer - but it probably would not help (other than asthetics).

It may be one of two things>

1. HP component related = power supply thermal OL switch (overheating). Check to make sure its vents are not blocked/clogged - to allow free air movement, and that it is not set-up/running in a place that is hot/hot surface (Chevy Bonnet for example). If the power-supply gets too hot, the thermal overloads shut the unit down to prevent component damage ... Remove the reason/cause for overheating, should fix the problem.

nb. Overheating of a power supply can be caused by the supply voltage - especially the lows (more than the high spikes). To check if that is the problem, find someone who has a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) ... then ask if they want a thrill/look at you wheels ... and just happen to take your computer with you ! Test it on the UPS and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, call your power supply company and get them to fix the supply voltage problem (semi-brown out).

2. Win10 OS related.

Go into settings and find power management. Check the power-management 'plan' and see if/where/when "Automatic Shutdown" is activated.

Keep safe, keep well .... and drive very slowly little a little old lady out for a Sunday drive (ie, 10>15 MPH and leaning into the corners).

Cheers,

Rick.

HP Recommended

-addendum-

i) correction: " little a little old lady ..." should read; "like a little old lady ..."

ii) Power supply fan - dust or bearing. If the power supply fan has collected too much dust on its fan blades, it can malfunction/cause overheating - which in turn shuts-down the power supply (heat overloads); while dry or sticking bearings in the fan can do the same thing. This was a regular/known problem in the Packard-Bell desk tops (caused the PS's to fail after about six-eight months) in the early 486 CPU era (~1990); but I had not heard of it (common-issue) since then.

Thought I would mention it - as something worth checking. Standard soft bristle 1 1/2 or 2 inch paint brush (clean/new), or stealing a Hotter-Girls soft blush/make-up brush (blame the dog), are usually the best thing to get that dust off the fan blades, then vacuum it away (pinch her cordless vacuum, while she's out chasing your dog).

Cheers,

Rick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.