Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Windows 7 Home Prem
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I laboriously upgraded my h8-1212c to Windows 10, but couldn't get the OS to activate.  Eventually called Microsoft and was told that this hardware is incompatible with Windows 7.  (Thanks, HP and Microsoft.)  So I need to reinstall Windows 7.  Microsoft told me this would be straightforward.  But, of course, the Microsoft site tells me to contact HP to get the software download that is associated with my Product Key.  I see others have had this problem and been provided with a short-term download link.  Would appreciate a similar courtesy.  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, and HP no longer sells the W7 recovery media for that model series.

Microsoft used to let us download the ISO files from their Digital River website but quit doing that in February of 2015.

Below is the link to the W7 Home Premium 64 bit English (US) ISO file.

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/E/A/8/EA804D86-C3DF-4719-9966-6A66C9306598/7601.24214.180801...

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

Since the ISO file is a retail file, and the product key on your PC's case is OEM, you may need to use the Microsoft automated phone activation system to activate the installation.

After W7 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5187019/model/...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link...working the solution...suggest you add to your instructions:  "Format your USB as NTFS, one OS file is too big for FAT32."  (Would have saved me a failed copy....)

HP Recommended

Sorry for the multiple replies.  Also got an error "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Setup" error:  This application requires .NET Framework 2.0.  Please install the .NET Framework then run this installer gain."  Sigh.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately I don't know how to troubleshoot the problems with the Microsoft tool.

I used it once many years ago and it worked.

I would just use Rufus if you plan on making a bootable USB flash drive.

I always prefer to burn DVD's whenever possible--even if the PC I'm installing Windows on doesn't have a DVD drive, I use a USB DVD drive.

I have never had an issue with a DVD not working.

If you want to make a DVD, you will need to have a writeable DVD and a DVD burner.

I use this free utility that has a simple interface to burn ISO files to DVD's so that they are bootable.

https://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/download

Click on the More Download options and select the Default installer without Installcore.

Launch the program and the main menu will open.

Select the 4th item on the menu (Burn ISO Image), and burn the DVD at the slowest speed you can (1 - 2x).

That way you get a good strong burn of the file.

HP Recommended

Aha!  The installer tool does the reformatting.  I had been using Windows Explorer to copy to the USB drive.  Silly me.

...one complexity was finding the path to the ISO file once it was downloaded.  Edge had tucked it away 9 directories deep, and I had to find it and navigate the Download Tool to it.

HP Recommended

I've only run the tool on XP and W7.

With W10 and Edge and whatnot, it is probably a whole different ballgame.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.