Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Microsoft automatically downloaded an update that left my computer not functioning.  I tried to do a system restore, which lead to me getting a black screen and boot failure.  I need to reinstall windows but do not have the product key.  The product key was pre-installed when I purchased my laptop from HP.  How do I get the product key or who do I call to have them look it up?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I would also add that there is no sticker containing the product key on my computer, on the charger, or in the battery compartment.  I also have the original box the computer came in and all the paperwork, but it is not there either.

HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC came with W8 or newer, the product key is in the BIOS.

You don't need it to reinstall Windows.

You didn't provide any info regarding the model PC or the operating system you are running, so there isn't much more I can do to help you without it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.