Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RissaJaneen
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Need windows product key from HP after failed system restore

HP Recommended

Microsoft automatically downloaded an update that left my computer not functioning.  I tried to do a system restore, which lead to me getting a black screen and boot failure.  I need to reinstall windows but do not have the product key.  The product key was pre-installed when I purchased my laptop from HP.  How do I get the product key or who do I call to have them look it up?

2 REPLIES 2
RissaJaneen
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would also add that there is no sticker containing the product key on my computer, on the charger, or in the battery compartment.  I also have the original box the computer came in and all the paperwork, but it is not there either.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,326 122,503 20,139 30,886
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC came with W8 or newer, the product key is in the BIOS.

You don't need it to reinstall Windows.

You didn't provide any info regarding the model PC or the operating system you are running, so there isn't much more I can do to help you without it.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation