Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Vectra VL400 MT P2702E
Other

(Sorry I posted in a wrong forum, but I don't know how to delete the post.)

Our lab has an old instrument that operates with the VL400 computer. We purchased a new PSU to replace the dead PSU in VL400, but found that they are not compatible (Error 0051 – the power supply fan is not connected). Is there any way to fix this problem?
Below is a photo of the motherboard. The old PSU was connected to the board thru the power connector (24 pin) and the fan connector (3 pin). The new ATX PSU has a 20+4 pin power line, but does not have a fan line. 
board.JPEG

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@isend 

The purpose of the three-pin jack you outlined is to power a fan -- typically a case fan. The motherboard powers the fan so that your BIOS can monitor the fan speed and (in some cases) control it as well.

You do NOT connect anything from the PSU to that connector; if you do, you will short out the motherboard.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@ The old PSU has a line connected to the fan connector on the motherboard, and it was working, until the PSU died. So we do need a fan signal line (the "tachometric signal") from the PSU. Please see the link below:

https://www.moddiy.com/pages/Fix-HP-515-Error.html

However, Moddiy does not have an adapter for our model.

HP Recommended

@isend 

OK ... that must be a special feature of the HP PSUs because with other PSUs, you do not connect them to the 3-pin fan lead.

This is the problem with using non-HP PSUs on HP equipment, like with the motherboards, HP pays manufacturers to build custom PSUs.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@isend 

The only options I can see are to either contact the Litho machine vendor and see what they recommend and look on eBay to see what a used PC like yours would cost.  I did a quick check of the latter, and saw one for $350 +$70 shipping -- and that is a LOT to pay to replace the PSU.

HP Recommended

There are a couple of options I know of, both expensive given the circumstances but still a lot less than a new system with isa slots

First option is an original hp refurb psu
(Please confirm it is the correct model)

The second option is a usb to isa adapter(you'd have to check and confirm it will work with your system.)

Seems to me there are articles on how to fix your wiring issue with the new psu, I'll see of I can find em, no guarantee though.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Okay the notes say to put a jumper on the 3 pin connector, connecting the 2 pins that are furthest away from the main power connector.

I believe  it pulls a charge, signalling that the fan is running, allowing boot.

Anyway, take it with a grain of salt and do some more research yourself to confirm.

HP Recommended

@GamingOptional  Thank you. Do you have a link or an electronic copy of the notes you mentioned ("put a jumper on the 3 pin connector, connecting the furthest 2 pins from power connector")?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I don't because it's just me scribbling it down.

If you google 2 pin jumper cap you'll see the item but I dont have any more info on placement, sorry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.