Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p019na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed new 'Crucial' 512 GB SSD upgrade after full Image backup to external hard drive. Obviously  OS has gone to ext. hard drive. How do I gain access to the ext. Hard drive to recover and restore on to the New SSD? The original SSD was 128 GB and was striped of all non-essentials before backup to external HD but was still vertually full.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Keith:

With the new drive installed you boot from your W10 installation media and install W10 on the new drive.

Have your W10 installation media in the PC's USB port or DVD drive.

Turn on or restart the PC.  Immediately tap/press the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu and from that, select the USB flash drive or DVD drive as applicable, and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the W10 installation media and begin to install.

If you have not made W10 installation media, you can do that using the media creation tool from the link below.

You will need an 8 GB USB flash drive for this...

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

System Diagnostics stated Passed on all counts.

20210322_205117.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

What I suggest you do is to clean install W10 on your new SSD by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

After W10 installs you can plug in your external hard drive and copy whatever files you need to your PC.

You can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page...

HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p019na Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Sir, thank you for rour guidance.

Do I install the bootable installation media on to the existing 'near full  SSD'. (If space allows), then do a complete backup to the external hard drive before changing over the SSD to the larger capacity one. After that, with the hard hard drive connected and after switch-on, will I see something other than the blue notice as before?

Keith.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What I was suggesting is that you clean install W10 on the new SSD and reinstall your programs and files on the new installation.

HP Recommended

You're very very kind with your guidance Paul but I'm having difficulty getting my head around the fact that the new SSD is essentially blank without W 10, therefore not able to receive any app or program.

After I backed up to my ext HD successfully, should I have had to remove it and change the SSD before starting up the device. Every action I have carried out so far has been with the ext HD being open. If I remove it will I have something other than a black screen with some small wording in top left corner.

Keith.

HP Recommended

Hi, Keith:

With the new drive installed you boot from your W10 installation media and install W10 on the new drive.

Have your W10 installation media in the PC's USB port or DVD drive.

Turn on or restart the PC.  Immediately tap/press the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu and from that, select the USB flash drive or DVD drive as applicable, and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the W10 installation media and begin to install.

If you have not made W10 installation media, you can do that using the media creation tool from the link below.

You will need an 8 GB USB flash drive for this...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, at last, someone has understood my delemma and come up with an understandable answer. Brilliant. Thank you. They only had to say 'press ESC' and I would have moved on weeks ago. Several 'so called' experts seem to just follow there Company guidance notes but don't seem to be able to engage their brains to tackle something different.

Okay Paul, lunch is finished, pots are washed, I' off to the den to put your guidance in to operation.

Please don't stay up waiting but I will get back you when it's all done. lol

Keith 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Keith.

I'm going for my 3 mile morning walk now.

Hopefully when I get back, I will be reading some good news from you.

HP Recommended

So we will both be 'booting up'. But for different purposes. Lol

Keith 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.