Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
348P4EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have just purchased a new HP all in one.

Please can someone tell me what recovery precautions I should take,  just in case there is a future problem?

I have 'hopefully' created a Windows media recovery USB stick. I say hopefully, because it took about 1 hour 20 minutes to complete. It stated that it had finished, but I had a real struggle getting it to safely remove hardware from the task bar, because it said a program was still using it? In the end, & following a couple of attempts, I did it by clicking on remove devices.

I have always used HP, & years ago HP would allow you to create one set of recovery CD's/DVD's.

Thank you for your time,

Ian.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The Windows Recovery is not a secure option.
Use a reliable Backup/Recovery Program and safe the image on a separate disk.
To be secure, create a Rescue Boot Stick from that Backup-Tool.

Create an image from that Boot-Media. Validate that image and run the Recovery and check if that works.
Every month you have an Windows Update and every month you create a new image.

Create a D:\ Partition for your personal files like Documents, Pictures ...
So you don't loose your personal files when there is a problem with Windows.
It depends on you how often you safe your personal files

HP Recommended

I do not see the method you might have used but here is a link to the HP Cloud Recovery

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-all-in-one-pc-24-df0000i/37592630/model/38297646

Scroll down to the "Software - HP Cloud Recovery" then click on the "Learn More" tab and follow the directions to make the Recovery software on a USB drive.  This will return the PC to "Factory Fresh" as they used to say when the Recovery Partition was on the hard drive.  Also the same as the Recovery DVD set created "in days gone by"

You can easily make another on a USB from the Cloud Recovery, not limited to one anymore.

Also the complete back method as advised by @VH2000 , using a reliable software will, will return the PC to the most recent date verses the PC original date.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The Cloud Recovery is the worst tool I have ever seen!

You just have to analyse the files that have been downloaded to the USB-Stick. (install.wim)

How is it possible that HP applies UEFI-Boot files and format the USB Stick in NTFS?
That does not work! 99 % of the users visiting this forum are lost and don't know what to do!

Nobody wants a Windows build 1704.xxxx in the year 2021. That can create a lot of serious problems!

HP Recommended

First - I disagree with some of the comments from @VH2000 ,  IE

1) Create a D:\ Partition for your personal files like Documents, Pictures ...

While that might make you fell better and give you access to the documents, it will be of no value if/when the hard drive fails or you cannot get into the Windows.  Use an off PC median IE: external hard drive or cloud storage or DVD/Bluray

@2) IMHO the HP Cloud Recovery will return the PC to factory state, so whatever version of Windows was on there from the factory, it will be that version.  If you would like the most up-to-date version of Windows 10, use the M$ Windows 10 download tool, found here:

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB. Use this new media to install Windows 10.
When the install asks for the product key, click the "I don't have a product key" option to continue,
then the install will continue. It will be activated once it connects to the internet, as it uses a digital key.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello
good sorry i will add one ..
Contradictions are not always of great help.
I don't know if the case, but instead of, I think we might be lost, eventually
Read everything that is indicated from the product page, it can help!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-all-in-one-pc-24-df0000i/37592630/model/38297646?sku=348P4EA

You seem to have had problems with the usb recovery key, we don't know if it will be functional, unless you test it right away.

Create a rescue disk image, I agree, but at some point if you do it every time, overwriting the previous image, at some point you may not be able to recover a system that was 100% reliable a few months ago!
As far as possible two are needed in this case, one after configuring the computer with the addition of some programs, updates, and if the computer is stable!
Keep it safe and secure.
And as mentioned why not, another one that will evolve over time.
For partition D, as indicated by @TheOldMan , no, especially if it is the model found, with a single small SSD of, too small, no interest, better the External Disk!

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/ie/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=2100407607#!tab=specs

HP All-in-One 24-df0073na Bundle PC(348P4EA) Internal drive 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

solution given by @TheOldMan  for the microsoft media, I am of the same opinion, but in case of help (rescue )
You should know that this does not reinstall the computer at the factory, like the HP system
although we can recover some programs / drivers then you only have windows, the bundled software is lost, it could
be impossible / difficult to find some

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for all the replies! (A lot to take onboard!)

I will have a thorough read tomorrow (23.50 here), but I have opted to extend the warranty/help from a HP support service called Best2Serve. They also can send out a USB stick of the most up to date software for a small-ish fee, if problem encountered.

Thank you again for your help.

Ian

HP Recommended

😉

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.