Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6520y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Windows 10 has completely failed and needs repair but all of my usb ports have failed as well. I cant do anything because my mouse and usb keyboard no loner work. I desperately need my computer to finish paid client's project!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Sorry, my mistake.

I meant to say Windows 10 Repair disk, not USB.   

There is a free iso available on the following 3rd party web page. Yuu can use it to create a repair disk on another Windows 10 PC. https://neosmart.net/blog/2015/windows-10-recovery-cd-free/

You can purchase a PCI-Express x1 (Gen 2.0) adapter card that uses the motherboard's bussues to provide USB ports.

The following link shows an example of what I mean. Your PC has three PCIe x1 slots that are available to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS3ZT5927&cm_re=USB_adapter_cards-_-14G-0001-00...

I will edit this in a few minutes.

This sounds great. I just recalled do have an old laptop that, if the battery isn't completely dead, I can use to download the Win10 Recovery files onto a USB stick. * I'm downloading it now, on that laptop and it's not free, it's $19.75. Question, tho - with no working PC, how would I install the driver needed for the Orico USB card? They're looking at one to two weeks for delivery. I really need to get this up by the weekend. I'm assuming a similar card can be found at BestBuy. I will look. Thanks for this suggestion. I'll let you know if things work out. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

I suspect that it isn't Windows 10 that has failed.

Your PC is a 2010 year model and that would make me tend to look at the motherboard.  

Most businesses replace their notebook and desktops at around the four year mark as a standard practice in order to avoid problems.

If you have ceated documents on the PC and need to use them, then you can use a hard enclosure to connect it to another PC. 

I would source or use another PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

th that, but

@erico wrote:

I suspect that it isn't Windows 10 that has failed.

Your PC is a 2010 year model and that would make me tend to look at the motherboard.  

Most businesses replace their notebook and desktops at around the four year mark as a standard practice in order to avoid problems.

If you have ceated documents on the PC and need to use them, then you can use a hard enclosure to connect it to another PC. 

I would source or use another PC.

I would go with that, but my computer was working perfectly (amazingly, actually) up until last month after one of the Windows 10 updates. Then all hell broke loose. I'd upgraded my computer last year, to 16gigs ram and an NVidia GeForce 750Ti graphics card and it operated wonderly with Windows 7.  But I'd caught a virus (SMART HDD) and reinstalled it, doing a clean install of Windows 10. It was great for 4 months, then Windows started throwing up bsod's and restarting, finally crashing for good and wiping out all my drivers last week. I dont have another PC to use. This was a perfectly good and functioning one until Windows 10's update. I don't have funds to run out and buy a new computer. I need to know how to get my USB ports working again so I can do a Windows repair and reinstall (preferably going back to Win7).

HP Recommended
If you might humour me for a moment...this is the ongoing sequence of events at startup:

1. HP splash screen
2. RAID OPTION ROM v.3.02 screen
3. Black screen w/ blue Windows logo and spinning circle -or- "Preparing Auto Repair"
4. Quick flash of a dos screen with white border and no text, then
5. Blue Windows screen saying "Choose Keyboard Layout"

*If I get the spinning circle at step 3 and let it spin, it will eventually take me to a bsod saying Bad_Config_Info, then go to the Choose Layout screen.
If the keyboard and mouse were working, I'd be able to go into bios, but they aren't.

With all this going on I have to believe my computer is not fried. But I need functioning usb ports. Is there absolutely no remedy? If a friend brings me a Windows repair disk..will it boot from my dvd drive? I have purchased a new hd to start fresh if need be. Any advice based on this would be greatly appreciated. I don't have funds for a new computer right now and this is causing me a lot of problems in general. My computer is an integral part of my life right now. Thanks.
HP Recommended

OK.

Thnks for the additional information. The  Bad_Config error indicates there is corruption in the registry. See the following MSDN document.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559188(v=vs.85).aspx

Do you have access to a Windows 10 repair disk (on usb)?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

At this time I don't have any disks. In my haste I did not create or download one when I clean installed Windows. I assumed it would be a solid release with no major problems. (I know...). I am asking co-workers and facebook folks if anyone has a disk I can borrow but so far no one has offered. I've plugged in two usb keyboards, my wireless mouse and even a ps/2 kb withe adapter..and nothing works. Why would a usb stick work? (Honest question).

HP Recommended

And no..I don't have access to Win10 repair files on usb, either.

HP Recommended

Sorry, my mistake.

There is a free iso available on the following 3rd party web page. Yuu can use it to create a repair disk on another Windows 10 PC. https://neosmart.net/blog/2015/windows-10-recovery-cd-free/

You can purchase a PCI-Express x1 (Gen 2.0) adapter card that uses the motherboard's bussues to provide USB ports.

The following link shows an example of what I mean. Your PC has three PCIe x1 slots that are available to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS3ZT5927&cm_re=USB_adapter_cards-_-14G-0001-00...

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Sorry, my mistake.

This sounds great. I just recalled do have an old laptop that, if the battery isn't completely dead, I can use to download the Win10 Recovery files onto a USB stick. * I'm downloading it now, on that laptop and it's not free, it's $19.75. Question, tho - with no working PC, how would I install the driver needed for the Orico USB card? They're looking at one to two weeks for delivery. I really need to get this up by the weekend. I'm assuming a similar card can be found at BestBuy. I will look. Thanks for this suggestion. I'll let you know if things work out. 

HP Recommended

If it won't boot up after a hard reset, don't waste any money on it.

My understanding from your previous posts was that when you pressed the power button you were getting a reaction out of the PC.

If that is not the case, then I have the same bad news I had earlier. 

It's dead. Kaput. The motherboard has ceased to function as expected. You are going to have to source, buy or borrow another PC.

Not wanting it to be dead and asking for a fix is not going to change that.

You can always take it to a PC or notebook shop and pay to have someone to diagnose the PC if you do not believe me. They tell you the same thing , except it will cost you  time and money.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.