Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
24-g014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings!

I ran "chkdsk /f /r" yesterday on a 2TB disk.  It ran from around 0800 to 1715.  I've run chkdsk on all my computers all they way back to DOS, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with it, nor with Event Viewer.  But 9 hours... hmmmm.  During that timeframe I see no Windows Logs of any type, let alone CHKDSK.  

There was no specific reason to do so beyond wanting to do some administration on my computer.  It takes way to long to wake from suspend and hibernate.  Plus some annoying backup failures I've been having.  Running "chkdsk" was just a starting point.

In addition, Windows apparently had an update to install but I got a "reverting to old" type of message.  I don't recall the exact text of the message or at what point it occurred.  Apologies for my poor memory, but again I see nothing of that sort in the logs.

Might I find these logs somewhere else, or should I perform another chkdsk?  I'm avoiding that... I need my computer today.

At this point, I seem to be running nominal.  Nothing ugly in the event logs.  The worst is Management Console has hung a couple times while viewing logs... errors want me to poke about in Security and Maintenance.  Not done because I don't think it relevant right now.  But just in case there it is.

Thanks in advance!!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That "/r" option does force a check of every sector on the disk-drive. 

A 500 Gbyte disk-drive has 2 sectors per kilobyte, and 1024 kilobytes per megabyte, and  1024 megabytes per gigabyte. So, checking 2*1024*1024*500 sectors can take a lot of elapsed-time.

How old is the disk-drive? If your automobile's tires are more than 5 years old, and going "bald", you might replace the tires, to prevent a "blow-out" at a bad time. Disk-drives have manufacturer's warranty for 1 or 2 years, and can get "worn" after 5 years, and might "blow" at any time.

If you have some "bad" sectors on the disk-drive, then that Windows Update may have tried to use those sectors, then failed, and then backed-out of applying that update.

some annoying backup failures 

That is another omen that the disk-drive might be "failing".

Download and install the free version of the SPECCY software. Run it, and access its "Storage" section. Look at the S.M.A.R.T. report for the disk-drive. Is it all "good", or is there any "warning" or "bad" alerts?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your insights!

I'll say that when CHKDSK finally did complete, a number of problems were solved despite the lack of logs.  It was well worth the wait.  Apparently a lot more corrections were made than I anticipated and that contributed to the long run.

I will most certainly take your advice and start looking towards replacing the drive.  I'll look into SPECCY as well.  I'll "accept as solution" once all is said and done.  However my question regarding the lack of logs remains unanswered for the benefit of those who find this thread researching the same issue.  I'll say my primary guess is the sectors containing them were themselves lost.  Guesses suck though.  When someone is experiencing significant drive issues it is a bad time to not have logs to refer to, eh?  I'll run CHKDSK again when convenient just for giggles.

Thanks again!

John 

HP Recommended

great help thanx

HP Recommended

Apparently a lot more corrections were made than I anticipated and that contributed to the long run.

I think that it was the "/R" option that caused the extended run-time -- it read/wrote every sector on the disk-drive, looking for "bad" sectors that were not 100% correctly storing any data.

Did you look in the "root" folder of the "C:" disk-drive for the log-file from CHKDSK?

From a command-line prompt, enter: CD %TEMP% and press ENTER.

Then, enter: DIR /OD and press ENTER.

This command will list all the files in the folder, ordering the list to put the "oldest" files at the top of the list, and the "newest" files at the bottom of the list.  Any relevant?

From a command line, run the Windows Event Viewer:  EVENTVWR

and see if anything was logged.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.