Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 500 076ea
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
Put in a new power supply unit in a booted the pc
Comes straight up with no boot disk detected or has failed, how can I fix this problem?

Do I have to go out and buy a new OS for example Windows 8 to fix this problem or has the problem worse than that

If I have missed any information you need to help I can provide it

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Howdy @Fraser11,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums.   I gather that since replacing the power supply in your Pavilion 500-076ea that your hard disk is no longer detected.   I am confident that I will be able to help you work towards a solution, and I ask only that you pay it forward. When we resolve the issue, I'd like for you to kindly mark the applicable post as Accept as Solution so that others experiencing the same or similar issue can find what worked for you.

Please use the Replacing the Power Supply in HP and Compaq Desktop PCs document as a checklist to ensure that nothing was missed when you replaced the power supply.  In my experience, most of the time when this error occurs after replacing the power supply there is a cable that is not connected securely. 

Please let me know the results.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Howdy @Fraser11,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums.   I gather that since replacing the power supply in your Pavilion 500-076ea that your hard disk is no longer detected.   I am confident that I will be able to help you work towards a solution, and I ask only that you pay it forward. When we resolve the issue, I'd like for you to kindly mark the applicable post as Accept as Solution so that others experiencing the same or similar issue can find what worked for you.

Please use the Replacing the Power Supply in HP and Compaq Desktop PCs document as a checklist to ensure that nothing was missed when you replaced the power supply.  In my experience, most of the time when this error occurs after replacing the power supply there is a cable that is not connected securely. 

Please let me know the results.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I have fixed this now but thank you very much,
I shall click the 'accept as solution' button on your post
HP Recommended

I have had the same exact problem after attempting psu upgrade, tried stick oem one back in it still same thing and I've had read so many forums and discussions until i feel like my eyes are going to bleed and literally nobody else has had this issue exactly with a desktop so I would very much like to know what fixed your problem?

HP Recommended
It was a silly mistake on my part, it was a simple as not plugging all the cable back in correctly, I left one of the sata cables out because I thought I had them all in the right place. I hope this is as easy for me as it is you
HP Recommended

actually funny you say that because i done the same exact thing, yet when i went back double checking everything and got everything connected properely it still done the same thing. So just hooking the cable back to it worked for you cause did not work for me and I have spent hours and hours and hours reading online about this issue over the last couple weeks and the more i read the more i feel as though it wasn't a mistake on my part and may have just been coincidental timing. I've been reading some older threads that were in a tech forum when they were testing win 10 builds and there was several several pages of discussion about windows 10 bricking hard drives and thats what I think has happenned some how. I freaking hate windows 10 and never wanted it yet I was harrassed just like everyone else and finally put it on my desktop just so it would leave me the hell alone, and it installed all on its own on my laptop during auto updates. Now my desktop is down and my laptop has went so far down hill outa no where i'm worried it's going to do the same thing before i get a chance to back up all my stuff on it. I think HP and Microsoft should be liable for all of the hardware failures and lost information considering how much Windows 10 was "Forced"  on everybody. Very few people I talk to likes it or even wanted it in the first place but just like me they got stuck with it one way or the other now and computers that aren't touch screen do not benefit with all the bs that comes with win 10 and those are the ones having constant problems with no usefull troubleshooting info out there. I sware microsoft harrassed me personally sooo much trying to get me to install win 10, eventually enforcing it anyways, that if they were an individual person I could have put a restraining order and had them put in jail. Now my desktops hdd is completely dead and i'm 95% positive it wasn't an error on my part and although there was very little on the 1tb hard drive(never had more than 25% used and probably not even that much) i did have about 5 or 6 pictures on there of me and somebody that i lost recently (so recent i didn't even have time to back them up) and those are the only exsisting pictures of us and if i can't figure out a way to get that info off there then I'm going to have a very public burning of all of my HP computers to show how loyal they are not to their customers. All they want is for you to buy something new that is their only concern

HP Recommended
I totally get that, I didn't want the new update either I was perfectly happy with what I was using, had no troubles.

Going back to the issue with the hard drive, you have (not saying you have) bricked it yourself, plugging the wrong cables in, wrong places or using the wrong cables can just fry the drive or so I learnt from reading up on this error. I had a lot of stuff I needed to keep so it was essential I fixed the problem. Keep searching! I took my PC into a shop asking if it was all correct and they told me it was perfect. So go over it maybe get a diagram of where they should go, or easier buy a cheap hard drive and plug that in and see where the issue lies
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.