Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello Community;

I have an HP desktop PC  with an OS of windows 10 home.       I have my important files backed up  on a 320 GB ssd external drive, I have made a lot of changes to those files so now I want to back up all of these files to another usb ssd external  500 GB  drive.

The 320 GB drive has plenty of free space available, when I attempt to copy to the 500 GB drive an error message comes up and says, there is not enough space on the destination drive for this process.   On checking the properties of the 500 GB drive it indicates there is more than 450 GB of empty space available, more empty space than the originating file drive.

I have removed all old files and formatted the 500 GB drive but  still when I try to copy files the same,  NOT ENOUGH SPACE to complete the transfer.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I am confronted or is something wrong with the 500 GB ext.  drive??

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

BEEP01

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Beep02 

First thing I would do is check the partition formats of each drive.  They should both be NTFS.  If the source drive is NTFS and the destination drive is FAT, this can cause problems like this.

Second, are you trying to copy all the files at once?  If there are LOTS of files, it might be running out of buffer space to hold all the file information.  Try copying smaller number of files to see if that works as an alternative.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello  WAWood,  thanks for the response, but, this morning the external drive WON'T even boot up,  SO, what I am doing now is to put that drive in the recycle pile and  just go for a new one. ( PROBLEM SOLVED )

Thanks again, I will keep your suggestions on file for future reference 

Have a Happy New Year,  be safe.

BEEP02 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.