Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq SR5000
Microsoft Windows Vista

I have been searching for a while and haven't found a single answer to my problem, at this point I believe its the motherboard or the PSU (i also checked my ram) I got this thing at a yard sale for free and cleaned it since it was really dusty I also changed the hard drive out and still had the same problem. *note: there is no display*

forgot to mention, i let it sit for a little and no stop to the beeping

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jweq -- got this thing at a yard sale for free

Is the beeping steady, like a pianist's metronome, or does it come in groups, and with a pattern, with silence between the groups? Sample of a pattern: (beep, beep, pause, beep, beep, beep).

When you power-on the computer, it runs the POST (Power On Self Test). Only if the test completes successfully will you see anything on the screen. A failure during POST is causing the beeps. 

Maybe, if there is more than one stick of RAM, remove all the sticks, and reconnect one stick, and try again.

Repeat by removing that one stick, and connecting a different stick.

Use the socket for RAM that is closest to the CPU. That slot might be labelled "DIMM 1".

Maybe, power-off, and look at the fan(s). Power-on, and check that the fan(s) are spinning, not "dead".

Check that the wires from the fan(s) are connected to the motherboard.

Maybe, your computer has an "add-in" video-adapter. Remove it, if the motherboard has integrated video.

Connect the cable from the monitor to the integrated video port, and try again.

Beyond this point, it will cost you money:

* under $20, to replace any "non-spinning" fan, if that is the problem.

* about $50 to replace the power-supply, if you speculate that replacing it will solve the problem.

* much more, to replace the motherboard, or to replace the CPU.

* over $100, to purchase a license to run Windows 10, if you ever get the computer to work.

Because I am a computer "hobbyist", I would cannibalize it for its parts, and send the rest to "end-of-life" responsible recycling.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.