Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All in one Z5P11AA#ABA

PC may have been hacked; McAfee ran scan for viruses---no virus detected; suggested that HP run system check for programs which may be remotely accessing PC.

need assistance please.................

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am adding to the discussion.

This is a complex subject.

Do a search for "offline virus scans" to find downloadable stuff which scan your PC outside of Windows using bootable USB media. Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Windows Security, and others can do offline malware scans. A clean result suggests you are probably okay. Some modern malware can hide when Windows is running. 

Check this site, How-To Geek, (Link) to see ways to check active network connections if you suspect your PC is compromised. You have to check remote IP connections listed by the software using domain names and IP address tools to see what is happening. This method requires having some knowledge on determining a malicious site.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Thefunnel 

HP does not have virus detecting software as far as I know.  Where did this recommendation come from?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

If you genuinely think someone has / is accessing your PC, then I would suggest doing a full factory restore. Backup any important data to an external HDD. Then shut the PC down. Turn it on and keep tapping ESC. When the blue menu comes up, press F11 for system recovery. Follow the prompts.

If you can't get that to work, then either download recovery media from here:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06162205

Or download the generic Windows 10 ISO from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Thanks for ur reply

mcafee did a complete virus scan. No viruses detected

however they could not determine if remote assess was implanted in my computer

Suggested HP do that run check 

what would u suggest.?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am adding to the discussion.

This is a complex subject.

Do a search for "offline virus scans" to find downloadable stuff which scan your PC outside of Windows using bootable USB media. Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Windows Security, and others can do offline malware scans. A clean result suggests you are probably okay. Some modern malware can hide when Windows is running. 

Check this site, How-To Geek, (Link) to see ways to check active network connections if you suspect your PC is compromised. You have to check remote IP connections listed by the software using domain names and IP address tools to see what is happening. This method requires having some knowledge on determining a malicious site.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you so very very much..   I will have my son assist me as he is much more sophisticated with all this .

will let you know after it is completed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.