Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 590-p0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I asked this question before.  WAWood(Level 15) answered very  promptly.  WAWood(Level 15) suggested I get a surge protector which is an excellent idea.  However, even if there is a 1 second delay in the backup battery kicking in, and my PC loses power, it will not power back on normally. What I seek to know is if there is a tweak that can prevent this from happening.  It is not standard operating procedure for a computer not to start after a power failure.  I'm sure there must be some kind of way to correct this without taking it to a repair shop (it's almost brand new), or returning it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Tap the F10 key repeatedly while the computer is booting(or however you get into your BIOS) then search your BIOS(should be under the Power Tab) for After Power Failure and it should give you some options like

Stay Off
Last State
Power On

etc.

Set it to Power On.

(If Power On is greyed-out and you cannot select it, look for 

Power On From Keyboard Ports.)

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@CarlosF1 

To expand on my previous answer -- I have a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) attached to my PC and recently, we have been getting some violent thunderstorms in which we lose power -- and the PC stays on!  That's because the UPS has a battery backup that provide me 20+ minutes of usage -- enough time to power down the PC properly without losing anything.

So, there is no delay in the UPS kicking in.

As to preventing the issue, no -- there is no setting you can change in your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Tap the F10 key repeatedly while the computer is booting(or however you get into your BIOS) then search your BIOS(should be under the Power Tab) for After Power Failure and it should give you some options like

Stay Off
Last State
Power On

etc.

Set it to Power On.

(If Power On is greyed-out and you cannot select it, look for 

Power On From Keyboard Ports.)

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your most helpful suggestion.  I have one major problem with it:  I am deathly afraid of the BIOS, COMMAND PROMPT, RUN. IOW's the "deep end" of the PC.  I'm very happy staying in the kiddie pool and not venturing into dark, mysterious places. As I was writing this, the power went off for a second. The UPS (as suggested by WAHood Level15) I had plugged in minutes before, worked like a charm.  Again, I thank you for your suggestion, which i may end up needing in the future.  not now, thank goodness.

Stay chill,

Carlos

HP Recommended

The story you are about to read is true. 

Early evening  13 June  2020:   UPS unit arrives.

Overnight:  UPS plugged and charged as per manual's instructions.

Early morning 14 June 2020: Following manual's instructions, plug everything to unit and unit to wall. All systems "go"!

Approximately 20 minutes after turning on PC, BROWN OUT. 

PC and Monitor don't even notice.  All systems "go."

IT WORKED

I bow to you, great WAHood

Stay chill,

CarlosF1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.