Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After noticing that the ram I'd previously put in my pc (16gb ddr4 3000MHz) was only at 1000MHz. I looked and found no options to change this in HP's limited bios. I tried to increase it in Ryzen Master and after restarting the pc to apply changes, it won't boot and doesn't stay on for longer than around 30 seconds at most. It turns itself back on after a few seconds and attempts to boot again in a never-ending cycle unless I hold down the power button until it stays off. There is no beeping from it or display on my monitors. I've already tried booting the pc with minimal parts but the issue persists. I can't attempt any kind of bios recovery or boot into safe mode because I don't see anything on the monitors and because it turns itself off within seconds. Are there any other options I can try beyond removing the cmos battery? (Last resort because it's hard to remove in this pc and my experienced friend cant help for another 2 weeks).

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The motherboard has jumpers to allow reset of the CMOS without having to remove the battery

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05939208

BeemerBiker_0-1649723344426.png

However many HP system are customized and there may be newer or different versions of the same mothererboard.

Please compare your motherboard to the one here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06124756

You can expand the "sunflower" and compare it to yours and also go the the spec of the sunflower like I listed above.

To clear using the jumper:  Unplug system from the wall.  Press the power on button and hold to for a few seconds to drain power supply.  Make an note of the jumper position so it can be return to the same position.  Touch the metal of the case with your finger before touching any part of the motherboard. move the jumper from the two pins it is on and to the other side..  After 30 seconds move the jumper back.

Turn it on and see if it works better.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

I tried moving the jumpers and also removing the cmos battery and it's still boot looping. I've also tried reseating all of the components. Anything else I can try or is the motherboard just fried? Thanks

HP Recommended

This does not sound good.  

Did you unplug the system from the wall when you removed the battery?  You should also have pushed the on button for a few seconds to fully discharge the capacitors

Try the following

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

from looking at the image above your system is one of the few that allows programming the motherboard you might try this before junking it

https://vdhout.nl/2018/02/hp-pavilion-500-0xx-envy-700-0xx-bios-recovery

HP Recommended

Yes I was safe and ensured there was no power in the system. I've already tried that ctrl + b solution but I haven't been able to get anything to happen yet, probably because it turns itself off before it gets the chance. I can try to figure out that second solution you linked but that seems to be rather complicated and I can't really go without my pc for that long. I still don't understand how increasing ram speed managed to seemingly fry the motherboard, I'd think clearing cmos should have fixed it. Thank you

HP Recommended

@Connor88 wrote:

After noticing that the ram I'd previously put in my pc (16gb ddr4 3000MHz) was only at 1000MHz. I 

I just realized you're running the wrong memory the spec for your system calls for 2666 speed

• Speed: PC4-21300 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2666

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06124756

you need to put the correct memory in that should fix it

HP Recommended

I thought putting faster ram would just run at whatever speed the motherboard is capable of? I also tried putting back in the original stick of ram anyway which didn't work. Thank you

HP Recommended

HP bios is hard coded for the ram speed it was designed for.  The menus optimizing speed are disabled.  Some of the newer system include the XMP menu (omen system) which shows up when XMP qualified ram is used.

Put the original ram back in and reset the CMOS.  Be sure to unplug the system and push the on button until the power is drained before removing the battery or moving the jumpers.

ram with an HP part number should work.  3rd party ram may not.   It is possible that memory marked 3400 speed worked on some test motherboard somewhere and is marked at 3400 even though it does not run at 2133 on many common systems.  My opinion.

Using 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.