Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Allin on PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I tryed to download software for my new printer HP123.com only to have an error and told to contact agent tell 01208 530006 she said there was a prolem and needed to take control of my PC  as it was through Hp Support I agreed so then ran a series of checks only to be told that i had a malware infestation that would not alow HP to down load software Then she proceded to inform me that she would sell me an anti Malware product that would cost me in excess of £168.00p. for one year

When she found out that I would not pay her she dissconected the line.

I then Paniced and did a complete windows reset that has caused me a lot of trouble is it Hp policy to alow their agents to work in this way it certainly reduces confidence in the company in the way that they need so much information in this way and alow their agent to operate  I have tryed to get in touch with HP complaints Department but so far have No Succes.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It most likely was a scam and not a real HP support person.  If you look at the bottom of the forum when posting you will see a warning about scammers poising as fake support.

"Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post"."

Allowing someone to take control of your computer, as described in the post is not good.  Most likely a reason to be concerned and "Freak out".  IMHO, you should wipe the drive and do a fresh install of Windows -  to eliminate any malware that is now installed.  I can help you with that if you need assistance.  Just ask for help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I totally agree. This "support person" is very suspicious. Btw, I had a common situation, but the difference is that I've followed a mallware link that a friend gave me. Then I received a message from hp support that my computer is at risk and I urgently need to send my personal data for analysis. Then I got it that something was wrong, scanned PC, installed and checked once again it with best pc tune up softwares. I found a traian, so be careful!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.