Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 800-060
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP Envy 800-060 with Windows 8 pre-installed from Amazon in July of 2013. It has been an amazing computer since then, and when the free upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 rolled out, I immediately did it. Just recently, however, the motherboard failed on the computer. It wouldn't even pass POST, and after much troubleshooting I finally decided on replacing the motherboard. Now that the computer is functional again, I guess the change of the motherboard was enough for the OS to think that it is no longer activated. I was never provided with an OS Activation Key (as Win8 was pre-installed) and Microsoft has suggested I get in touch with HP about finding the original key. I have searched all over the chassis and inside the tower for a valid Windows activation key, to  no avail. I tried finding a phone number to call for support, but my product is outside of warranty. I don't need troubleshooting advice or guidance (so I won't be paying the $59.99), all I need is my valid Windows Activation Key based on my product serial number. Does anyone know of the best way of reaching HP with this issue and having it resolved?

Thanks in advance!

JC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

jcontino889

The unfortunate fact is that your original product key was embedded into the UEFI firmware of the original motherboard by HP when the PC was built.  There is no way to retrieve that key, now.

HP does not keep a record of individual product keys matching individual PCs, so they are not going to be able to provide you the original key -- and they are under no obligation to provide you a SECOND key, as you did not have HP do the hardware replacement.

With the product now being out of warranty, it is really HP's call whether or not to charge you for support -- and from the experiences I have had with older equipment -- they are going to do that, there is just no way around id.

HP Customer Support is really the only avenue you have for getting support.  If they won't help you for free, because your PC is out of warranty, there is nothing we can do about that on this forum.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

jcontino889

The unfortunate fact is that your original product key was embedded into the UEFI firmware of the original motherboard by HP when the PC was built.  There is no way to retrieve that key, now.

HP does not keep a record of individual product keys matching individual PCs, so they are not going to be able to provide you the original key -- and they are under no obligation to provide you a SECOND key, as you did not have HP do the hardware replacement.

With the product now being out of warranty, it is really HP's call whether or not to charge you for support -- and from the experiences I have had with older equipment -- they are going to do that, there is just no way around id.

HP Customer Support is really the only avenue you have for getting support.  If they won't help you for free, because your PC is out of warranty, there is nothing we can do about that on this forum.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.