Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1254
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am really not sure if mine is a 32 bit or a 64 bit my serial no is [Personal Information Removed]

i am looking for recovery discs. I have tried all the other stuff, on off, F8 and F11 and nothing has worked.

I had bought a Laplink PC mover and a new computer and just in the time to get these delivered it has crashed and I can’t get in to load the transfer program. 
So it looks like I need recovery discs to do so. Unless someone has another idea. Cheaper the better. 
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From what I understand, the old computer won't start anymore, right?
In this case, it is certainly necessary to remove the hard drive from the old computer in order to connect it to the new computer.
You could try to start the computer with a live cd type cd
Sometimes this is enough, copying them to an external hard drive and then copying them to the new one.
see what is easiest for you

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello
If you want to transfer your data to a new computer, maybe you should try another solution
If you try to reinstall the system you may erase everything

the best you can try, depending on what is possible with the new computer
Either remove the hard drive from the old one and install it in the new second drive, this may not be possible.
if not, use a usb adapter, to connect your hard disk to USB on the new one

https://www.muo.com/tag/connect-get-data-off-hard-drive/
If your disk is not completely out of order, this gives you a small chance

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply. Do I need o take it out or can I USB to USB with a cable from outside of both?

Could I download to the old one this way? So I can use the PCmover? It would be nice if I could move some of the programs too, not just the files. But it is starting to look like I might not be able to. Looks like I might loose a lot anyway. So kind of you to respond. I so appreciate it. I will look at your link too. Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

I do have an external hard drive I could try switching out the innards. Of these 5 option is there a best?

HP Recommended

From what I understand, the old computer won't start anymore, right?
In this case, it is certainly necessary to remove the hard drive from the old computer in order to connect it to the new computer.
You could try to start the computer with a live cd type cd
Sometimes this is enough, copying them to an external hard drive and then copying them to the new one.
see what is easiest for you

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Hi, again thank you.

I have taken the old one apart and have the hard drive out. It had two plug ins, a wide one and a narrow one. I ran a recovery flash drive on the new computer. I went to plug the old hard drive into the new computer and it only had the wide one that I could find. That did not seem enough to get the new computer to read the old hard drive. I looked for a narrower plug in the guts of the new computer but did not find one. Any advise?

HP Recommended

If I understand correctly you have the SATA cable for the data
but you are missing the SATA power cable
without both the hard drive cannot work
If your computer is not equipped, you have to buy another sata power cable, in general it is standard, but some computers need a special cable.
In this simplest case found a usb adapter
You can turn any hard drive into an external drive, so it is not lost, it can still be used!

que faire en cas d' erreur / échec dst du disque dur - HP Support Community - 7338574

I give another example here

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Hello again and much thanks again for getting back to me. I plugged it back in to the one that fit inside the new computer. It does seem to acknowledge that it is there at least now. However It is asking me for a password. I have used a bunch that I usually use and no luck getting anything to open. It is not offering to allow me to retrieve a password. What now?

HP Recommended

Sorry I don't understand what you are telling me
did you disconnect the original drive, and plug it in instead?
It started to boot into windows, what password are you talking about?
You should still have the primary drive to boot into windows, and you should be able to open the other hard drive afterwards.
If you are missing a password that you do not know there I cannot help you

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I finally figured out how to get it plugged in and the computer could see a new drive I guess it was listed there with all the other computer componets, it was F or G I think. I wasn't sure if that was it but was pretty sure so I clicked on it to open it and the new computer said something was wrong with it and commenced to fixing it and then  it opened up on the new computer. I could see all of my files from the old computer. Then, haha, I thought if I put this now fixed hard drive back in the other computer it would be fine and I could use the PCmover to get everything moved over, even things with licenses. However, it is not going smoothly. The old computer opens but is sluggish and very slow. I was just hoping to get a browser to open so I could download the Laplink. But I can get any to open, everthing is "not responding".

What do you think?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.