Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
P590-P0089 Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have a weird issue when I try to run the system recovery off the hidden partition and the USB drive I purchased from HP. Last thing that I had done was HP replaced my system board as I had a damaged USB port on the back but unsure if this is the issue.

My computer just passed the 1 year EXP in November and I wanted to do a full system restore to flush it out as potential spyware/clutter/virus/etc.

When I use the HP Recovery USB stick from the HP store it recovers for over an hour as it estimated 2-3 hours. When it gets to a certain point it says failed and to try retry. When I do this it reboots and goes to the exact same screen. When I select show details in the log it says there is a device error / not responding for my AMD display SYS file.I dont remember the exact error but I tried removing my video card which is an HP RX550 card and when I try recovery without the card it ends up in a boot loop and comes up earlier in the recovery process that it couldn't properly shut down my PC. So I have to have the card in the slot in order to get further but errors out during some AMD display portion.

I am wondering if there is something I can disable to bypass this stage. I checked the BIOS and not many settings I have access to for the F31 version of the firmware and the only thing I haven't tried yet was perhaps swapping the AMD display card with an NVIDIA to see if this works.

Seems very strange I am getting some kind of display stop responding error during the recovery process and cant get any further.

The only hardware changes ever done was I installed the same grpahics card a RX500/550 but with 4GB RAM instead of 2GB but is an HP OEM card and I had HP replace my MOBO few months ago as I had a damaged USB port on the back.

Any insight be appreciated. If need specif error I can try run it again and take a screen shot or paste the error log details if helps.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Hopefully, HP replaced the motherboard with one that has a Windows product key in the BIOS.

What I suggest you do since the HP USB recovery media isn't working, is to clean install W10 using the Media creation tool.

Clean install W10 by making a bootable USB installation drive using the Microsoft media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the screen that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space. Click Next, and W10 should begin to install.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-590-p0000-desktop-pc-series/19390500

HP Recommended

If I do the win10 I wont have any factory installed software or am I able to reinstall apps and drivers off the recovery partition or stick after windows 10 clean? Is there way check bios if repair did end up putting a branded windows key in the bios?

HP Recommended

You'll only be able to reinstall the software that is on the support page, unless you can read the files from the recovery partition or stick.

I have no idea how you would do that because those are image files and generally not readable.

I have zipped up and attached below, a free utility that you can use that will show you the W10 product key in the BIOS if one exists.

You will need to have Windows installed in order to use the software.

HP Recommended

Weird. Does show a key... Ill play around trying to put a NVIDIA card instead of AMD to see if this helps. Im trying avoid just installing Windows straight as I would not have any factory installed software and other things from when I first got the computer out of the box. Worse case scenario I can renew warranty and have the drive replaced.

HP Recommended

At least it shows a key.

I was thinking if HP replaced the motherboard with one without a W10 key (they make boards with FreeDOS, no windows key), that could have been a reason why the recovery failed.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but usually if the HP supplied recovery media doesn't work, it never will.

In any event you should have no issues clean installing W10 regardless of what video card you install.

HP Recommended

One last thing I am trying is I ordered the same video card that was originally in the computer (AMD HP Radeon RX 550 2GB GDDR5 GPU Graphics Card 940269-001) and going to see if the recovery will work with the original video card. I believe this was the original PN for HP 940269-001

I also created recovery tools off the original Hard Drive and same scenario and looks like may be the video card. When I try a different AMD card I get some weird AMD.SYS error for the video card. I should know if works when card comes. Im really hoping to have the software and everything back instead of using the win10 creator tool for just having the OS back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.