Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had a BSOD and Windows would not open.  Went to Recovery and started the process by choosing what I wanted to backup.  I chose Pictures, Documents, Downloads and was able to back up and save to my external the backup.  Then I tried to proceed and was not able to download the operating system (Windows 10 64 bit) nor the programs that came with the HP Computer.  

I am wondering if I could install Windows 10  and then utilize the data that I have backed up and install into the new installation of Windows 10.  I realize I won't get any of the programs that came with my HP Pavilion but at least I would have the operating system and all of my data.

Is this possible.  Please advise.  I can download a Microsoft ISO of Windows 10, install it, and then hopefully introduce the data from the data I saved.  Thanks so much for any and all assistance.. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can do that, but first check to see if your notebook is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool, which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally come with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You will need to have access to another PC running Windows 7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.