Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2301sx Desktop PC

Back in 2013 I got the HP Pavilion p6-2301sx and created the recovery disc set (3 discs),

in 2016 the motherboard shorted and i replaced it with an gigabyte h61m-s2pt, 

In 2019 the hard drive got infected with a ransomware and i formatted the deleted all the partitions

now i want to restore it and the dvd-drive is damaged

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The 3 disk set has original windows OS from HP and includes a lot of "free' programs that are probably outdated.

Did that set include any software or documents you need?

I assume you had win10 on the gigabyte***.  If so it is fully licensed and you can download and install from here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/...

Since your DVD is damaged you will need to use the USB method.

Be sure to select the correct version: Home or Pro, that you had before.

Post back here if a problem

*** if you bought win7 or win8 and you have a copy of the serial number (key) then enter that key in when installing windows 10.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for offering this solution.

What is the USB solution? 

HP Recommended

And the DVD-Writer is damaged

Not the recovery set

HP Recommended

And yes before the hp motherboard shorted.

I updated to windows 10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.