Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

If I wipe my C Drive is the Data on my D Drive remain intact?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

It depends.

If you clean install W10, you can have it install over the current Windows installation on the C:\ drive and it will create a Windows.old folder.

It should have no effect on any other partitions you created.

After W10 has completed installing you can copy any files you need from the Windows.old folder to the new installation, and when you are sure you have everything, you can delete the Windows.old folder using the disk cleanup utility>cleanup system files option.

If you use recovery media from the cloud recovery tool or purchased from HP, that will normally format the entire drive and all partitions/data will be deleted and new partitions created to install the factory supplied image.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I'll be using the Media Creation Tool - and it is giving me the option to Keep personal files and apps - is this correct?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can use that option, but make sure that you only let it install on the C:\ partition.

HP Recommended

Is there a tutorial or reference where I can do this? I don't see that option.

HP Recommended

You'd have to google it and see.

When I boot from the media creation tool on a new hard drive for example, it asks me where do I want to install Windows.

Since you have elected to keep your current programs and files, you are not clean installing W10, and most likely it will just install over the current installation, and not affect any other partitions, but I can't 100% be sure of that.

I would definitely make a backup of your data drive to be safe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.