Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example:Pavilion Desktop-570 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a serious problem with my HP desktop and I need help. This morning when I turned on my computer,  the message Critical_Process_Died came up. It said 100% complete after checking for the problem, but nothing happened, so I shut the computer down manually. Realizing that I needed to do a reinstall at this point, I tried to do a Cloud Download to reinstall, but the message was that there was a problem resetting my PC so no changes were made. Then I tried to do a Local Reinstall and this likewise failed.

I then used my HP USB flash drive to reinstall the operating system without keeping the settings or apps. After 1 hour,  a Recovery Manager screen appeared and I received the following message: "The recovery attempt has failed. Select one of the following buttons: Save Log,  Details,  Retry. So, I clicked Retry but the same "The recovery attempt has failed...." message appeared. I removed and reinserted the HP USB flash drive into the PC drive again so that I could start the reinstallation process, but the same "The recovery attempt has failed...." message appears.

What should I do? I don't have a warranty anymore because my PC is over 3 years old.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I would try since everything else hasn't worked, would be to clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.   Click Next and W10 should install.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your specific 570 model series' support page.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I would try since everything else hasn't worked, would be to clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.   Click Next and W10 should install.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your specific 570 model series' support page.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I tried using a USB flash drive with a Windows Media Creation that I made in 2017 when I purchased the computer. The same thing happened. The Recovery Manager came up. I clicked the Retry option, took the flash drive out of my PC, reinserted it, and then clicked the Retry option but an Insert System Recovery Media message came up again. rePC won't allow me to attempt another reinstall.

Is there anything else I can do?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It doesn't sound to me like you are booting from the USB flash drive.

If it was booting from the flash drive, you would not see the HP recovery manager show up.

The PC is set to always boot from the hard drive, so you have to force it to boot from the flash drive.

Plug the flash drive with W10 into the USB port, turn on or restart the PC.

Immediately tap/press the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB flash drive with W10 on it and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the flash drive and begin to load the W10 installation files.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I was able to boot and I got to the Windows Setup and it asked "Where do you want to install Windows?" I know that you said that I should delete every partition  on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space. There are 6 partitions, and I am afraid to delete any. Could you be more specific on which one I could delete. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can safely delete all of them.

But if you want, you can install W10 on the partition that currently contains the existing Windows operating system, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 has completed installing you can use the disk cleanup utility>click on the cleanup system files button to delete the Windows.old folder.

If it were me, I would be deleting all of the partitions and have one large drive partition completely available for use.

Some of the partitions on there will be completely useless to you.

HP Recommended

Ok. I deleted all of the partitions except the two Drive 0 Unallocated Space partitions, which the Delete button wouldn't allow me to delete, and I will use the Drive 0 Partition 1: Windows to install Windows. Am I doing fine so far?

HP Recommended

You will want to install W10 on the partition that has the most available drive space.

Not sure why you can't delete those other two partitions but if they aren't taking up much space, I guess it isn't a big deal.

HP Recommended

Thanks. The only partition left is the one I mentioned. It has 891.5 GB. Will this be OK?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Plenty of space...that is almost the entire 1 TB drive (which has a max usable space of around 900 GB).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.