Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
All in one desktop pavillion 24-g020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just had to replace the hard drive in my All-in-one desktop Pavillion 24-g020 after it failed. Miserably I might add. The hard drive failure had been going on for a while but I chose to ignore it in hopes it would go away. It went away that's for sure.

So I ordered the exact same hard drive that was in my unit from Amazon.

Opened the all-in-one up, took out the old and installed the new one without too much problem. Turned on the computer and it booted right up...Sort of...The error message says no[operating system installed. No boot disk..

I knew this was coming. Of course, I need to install an operating system.

my question is from where? Can't I reinstall my ios with the key code designated to my computer? 

I am pretty sure this is the case but where and how do I download and install this on to my new drive?

I am sure it's something very simple and I am just missing it.

Thank you for your help.

LaLa :  )

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LaLaPaluzza 

Since your PC can not successfully do an internal factory reset, your ways to accomplish this are the following:
- Factory reset using external HP image you make
- Factory reset using external HP image you buy

Each of these is discussed in some detail below ...

---------- Factory reset using external HP image you make ----------
HP provides a Cloud Recovery tool that you can use, together with a 32GB USB stick, to create your on HP reset media.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

This works the same as the factory reset described above.

---------- Factory reset using external HP image you buy ----------
For those PCs not supported by the Cloud Recovery, in some cases, HP offers Recover Media for sale. This can not be downloaded; instead, it must be ordered from HP.

HP Recovery Media is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities.

In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click &quot;Update&quot;.<br><br>If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the &quot;+&quot; symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Support.

HP contact info: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

If HP no longer carries the media you need, another site you should check for HP Recovery Media is: http://www.computersurgeons.com/

These work the same as the factory reset described above.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The info presented by @WAWood  is the best.  If you some reason you cannot get the HP Recovery tool to work for you, you can make a Windows 10 installation media for free from Microsoft, but it will not have all of the extras that the HP source will have.  It will get you up and running, though.

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB.

Then use this new media to install Windows 10.  When the install asks for the product key, click the I don't have a product key option to continue, then the install will continue  It will be activated once it connects to the internet, as it uses a digital key.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the info. It worked perfectly. I used the hp recovery tool to download the recovery software to a usb drive. I installed it on my  24 - g020 until I got to the very last step.."The software is being installed" it restarted a few times and then  a message came up that said " recovery failed" 🙀. When I clicked on details the error message 

CTO Error. flg. -Notepad

Component: Windows 10  - 10pin diagnostic tools  ReD- cps

Timing: Factory Update

Error: Incorrect Brand Name (unknown)

Expected Brand Name from FB (HPC)

Next Step:Please check model name or Feature Byte

I clicked on retry a few times Nothing... Clicked esc when it was restarting ..checked out every possibility I could find. I couldnt get anywhere. And then another error page

"Your PC needs to be repaired. "

The Boot configuration file doesn't contain valid information for an operating System File BCD

Error code 0xc0000098

You will need to use recovery tools.

Great...Where do I get recovery tools?

and what about the model name or feature byte error? This is beyond my pay scale . I'm lost.. Do you have any suggestions?

I would appreciate your help.

LaLa

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info. It worked perfectly. I used the hp recovery tool to download the recovery software to a usb drive. I installed it on my  24 - g020 until I got to the very last step.."The software is being installed" it restarted a few times and then  a message came up that said " recovery failed" 

LaLaPaluzza_0-1613718662291.png

. When I clicked on details the error message 

CTO Error. flg. -Notepad

Component: Windows 10  - 10pin diagnostic tools  ReD- cps

Timing: Factory Update

Error: Incorrect Brand Name (unknown)

Expected Brand Name from FB (HPC)

Next Step:Please check model name or Feature Byte

I clicked on retry a few times Nothing... Clicked esc when it was restarting ..checked out every possibility I could find. I couldnt get anywhere. And then another error page

"Your PC needs to be repaired. "

The Boot configuration file doesn't contain valid information for an operating System File BCD

Error code 0xc0000098

You will need to use recovery tools.

Great...Where do I get recovery tools?

and what about the model name or feature byte error? This is beyond my pay scale . I'm lost.. Do you have any suggestions?

I would appreciate your help.

LaLa

HP Recommended

The error "The Boot configuration file doesn't contain valid information for an operating System File BCD

Error code 0xc0000098

You will need to use recovery tools."

That error most likely comes from Windows.  All of the comments concerning a fix come from the

TheOldMan_0-1613736790685.png  Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/boot-configuration-data-fi...

Scroll down to the post from Cesar_Campo dated September 3, 2015 which states:

The steps in link you provided were exactly the ones I needed to fix my problem.

Now, something that was not detailed in that link was how to get there.

so here are the steps I executed for those of you who can benefit from this ugly experience:

1. Since I didn't have a restore media or system disk to perform a recovery I downloaded Windows 10 from:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will only download a simple tool which you can use later to create a USB or DVD image with Windows 10 which you can use later to perform the recovery.

2. Started my PC with the USB/DVD, selected advanced recovery options and then opened an administrative Command Prompt.

3. All you need to do is enter following command :

bcdboot c:\windows

Substitute C with your system root drive letter in the above mentioned command. This command allows to copy BCDboot file from existing Windows partition to motherboard partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition.

Now my PC is back.

You will note the post also contains that you need the Windows 10 install media with a link to the Windows 10 Media Creation tool that is the same as I posted.  So you might as well make that install media.  If the steps do not solve the problem, you can do a clean install using the Windows 10 media from Microsoft instead of the HP Recovery tool media.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.