Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elite Slim Line 8200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Microsoft Community;

SCERINO:        I was informed by a PC Tech. that my PC has been infected by a virus and my REGISTRY has files that are corrupted or missing, so as to effect the operation of my computer.   The Tech also said that it was possible to get the virus from WINDOWS UPDATES, is that statement TRUE ??.      If I was to RESET MY PC back to original will that process correct the corrupted files in the REGISTRY, or is there even a way of correcting the REGISTRY so the PC will operate properly ??.

IN OTHER WORDS,   WHAT IS THE BEST OR ONLY WAY THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO GET MY PC CLEAN ( OF VIRUSES AND REGISTRY CORRUPTED OR MISSING FILES) AGAIN ).

Thanks for any help with this problem

Beep01     :generic:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Do you think that this was still a SCAM ????

Yes.  I doubt that you were in contact with the "real" AVAST.

If you were, you would have gotten more specific advice, and, as a paying customer, better support.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Beep01@  wrote:

I was informed by a PC Tech. that my PC has been infected by a virus and my REGISTRY has files that are corrupted or missing, so as to affect the operation of my computer.   

The Tech also said that it was possible to get the virus from WINDOWS UPDATES, is that statement TRUE ??

If I was to RESET MY PC back to original will that process correct the corrupted files in the REGISTRY, or is there even a way of correcting the REGISTRY so the PC will operate properly ??.

IN OTHER WORDS,   WHAT IS THE BEST OR ONLY WAY THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO GET MY PC CLEAN ( OF VIRUSES AND REGISTRY CORRUPTED OR MISSING FILES) AGAIN ).

Thanks for any help with this problem 

Let me guess: that you received an unsolicited telephone-call from this "PC Tech", or your web-browser displayed a web-page that made those allegations, and then you telephoned the number listed on the web-page.

I think that you have been talking to a SCAMMER, who wants your credit-card information, to sign you up for "one year of online technical support", or for a "lifetime" support contract.

If you gave out your credit-card information, call your card issuer (telephone-number on the back of your card) to report that your card has been compromised.

My thought is that there is NOTHING WRONG with your computer.

If that person "helped" you to download any software, then your computer could be compromised.

Windows 10 has a "reset my PC" option, to reinstall Windows, while keeping your personal files. If you want/need to, you can run that program.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Actually NO I did not receive a phone call from the tech.  It was I that called  "AVAST"  FOR MY SUBSCRIPTION OF  CLEANUP PRO"  was not working properly and  I called to have them correct the problem,  thats when  "AVAST'S "   Tech told me about my problem with my registry.        Do you think that this was still a SCAM ????

Thanks

Beep01

HP Recommended

> Do you think that this was still a SCAM ????

Yes.  I doubt that you were in contact with the "real" AVAST.

If you were, you would have gotten more specific advice, and, as a paying customer, better support.

HP Recommended

Thank You  I thought it was strange, BUT,  being as PC illiterate as I am   I really didn't realize the scam was on.     I guess it takes a while. 

Just for my info,  what effect does RESETTING the PC back  have upon the  REGISTRY if there is a problem ??>

Thank You,     I appreciate the information.

Beep01:smileyhappy::smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

I would like to send you  5 KUDOS

HP Recommended

>  what effect does RESETTING the PC back  have upon the  REGISTRY if there is a problem ?

The Windows Installer will put the entries that it needs into the Windows Registry.

When Windows is running, it will use only those entries.

Of course, there exists the possibility of "stale" entries in the Registry, i.e., entries put there by some software that you installed, but were not completely removed when you "uninstalled" that same software.  That is an "error" on the part of the company that makes that software, but it is not a problem that affects your usage of Windows.

In the summer, if you leave your snow-tires in the trunk of your automobile, that is your "error".

Other than having "dead-weight" (that consumes more gasoline to get up-to-speed, and more brake-lining to slow-down), it's not a real problem with your automobile.

HP Recommended

mdklassen;

thank you for the explanation of the registry, that helps me to understand it better,  thanksyou so much again.

have a wonderful day

thanks for being there to answer questions like mine.

Beep01

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.