Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-p117c Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to make a recovery disk. I made one when I first got this computer, but I ended up losing some flash drives, so I wanted to make a new one.

When I go through the process to create the drive I get an error stating that the necessary files are unavailable.

As a troubleshooting idea, I thought that I would go through the motions of resetting the computer to its factory state, not finalizing it of course. Doing this I also get an error that the files are unavailable.

This computer had a few different partitions on the hard drive (which I think are pretty normal for Win 10)-- the main, visible boot to windows partition, EFI partition, Recovery partition, and Windows RE Tools partition. Initially, the only partition that was visible outside of Disk Management was the main boot partition.

I had upgraded my hard drive and for some reason when I cloned the drive, the Recovery and Windows RE Tools became visible and show as drives in Windows Explorer.

This goes beyond my understanding of the behind the scenes with Windows and any special builds that might be put on an off-the-shelf computer. I imagine that something happened with the partition table.

Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to recover those recovery partitions?

I have not changed anything about the partition--too the best of my knowledge they are intact.

Thank you for any thoughts or directions.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

It appears the HP Recovery partition on the cloned drive has been corrupted.

The only way I am aware of to get this back to create HP Recovery media is to order the factory recovery media at this site (Link).

Look in "Order Recovery Media" at this site. Follow the prompts to order the media.

You will have to back up data before you do a factory recovery. You will have to reinstall your software again and reconfigure Windows to your liking.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. That was what I was afraid of.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.