Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Insert the CD and restart your PC and Tap Esc to bring up the BIOS setup. Select the Boot menu? List all of the devices that you see on the boot menu.

What version of memtest are you attempting to use?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Response to your info Request

1. Using MEMTEXT Ver 7.4  Downloaded directly from MEMTEST Web Site

2. UEFI BOOT ORDER

BOOT SOURCE LISTING

- ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

- USB HD

- UEFI  KINGSTON SSD

- USB Floppy/CD

LEGACY BOOT SOURCES

- Hard Drive SATA0

- ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

-  USB FLOPP/CD 

- Network Controller(PXE B0@ D00)

Have a nice Holiday Weekend!

HP Recommended

Hi,

As you have mentioned eariler, your PC is still booting in UEFI mode so I would expect the boot order to be what is listed under UEFI.

You might try selecting the UEFI Kingston SSD and move it down(F5/F6) to the last item on the UEFI list.  Save the change.

The Legacy part of the Boot menu isn't going to change unless the PC is in legacy mode. You can play around with the Legacy mode parameter(set it to enable) and then go back to the Boot Order menu. I don't think that is you want to do (Legacy) without Legacy bootable devices being enabled (perhaps the HD, CD or USB). However, this might allow you to boot up legacy enabled devices (say for testing) and then later go back to UEFI mode to use your UEFI enabled SSD.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Forgot to mention:  Regarding the legacy devices.

I have have DISABLED SECURITY MODE BOOT,  and ENABLED LEGACY DEVICES, but the results are no different.

That's why I am surprised that  the BIOS continues to show UEFI BOOT MODE and doesn't show LEGACY BOOT MODE?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC is still booting in UEFI mode because the OS was installed in UEFI mode.  Perhaps your BIOS has a bug.

On my HP laptop when I change to Legacy mode, the UEFI boot settings are then grayed out and the Legacy boot settings become Blue.

HP Recommended

I am not sure where I go from here?

This is a basic feature I need, and want to use.

I have burned my BIOS with the latest firmware twice, and I am not sure I want, or should, keep doing that.

If you come up with any other thoughts please let me know.

I did want you to know  how much I appreciate all your help.

HP Recommended

@JMIG

HP gets tricker everyday.  See the below image. Legacy boot sources is disabled in the BIOS.  You should be able to toggle Legacy Boot Sources to enabled.  You should end up looking like the lower image.

Hamar boot order.jpg

willow boot order.jpg

HP Recommended

YES... I was aware of that.

I had disabled SECURE BOOT and ENABLED LEGACY DRIVES early in the process.

It made no difference. I still could not boot directly from my DVD even after setting the BIOS BOOT order to:

DVD

USB  HD

KINSTON SSD

It appears the only way I can boot to my DVD DRIVE is to re-boot  each time and boot into the BOOT ORDER dialog(F9),

Select legacy DVD Drive.

Just setting the BIOS BOOT ORDER just doen't do it for some reason.

It's Clunky and inconvenient, but up to now, it's the only way I have found to even boot to my DVD Drive.

THX

HP Recommended

Hi,

The above posted images were to ensure that in fact the legacy boot order was enabled and not disable. There are two areas in the BIOS where you can make changes for legacy mode and then legacy boot sources order.

Double check your optical media (memtest) and make sure that it has been created to boot both legacy and UEFI.

Try moving the optical SATA cable to the port on the motherboard that the HD is plugged into.  (swap SATA ports between the optical drive and the HD).

A possible alternative would be to install the OS in legacy mode. It's a bit of work but it might solve your issue.  You will lose the ability to use secure boot and your boot times will probably be a bit slower.

On my custom PC, in order to boot from the optical drive in UEFI mode, I have to set the SATA port to hot swap which is not available in your BIOS.  If I don't enable hot swap then the optical drive is not recognized. Perhaps the HP BIOS is deficient in this area.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.