Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8-1450
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I suspect the BIOS needs repair/updating.  I have UEFI AMI v8.09  10/30/12  1.2     (i.e., HP motherboard Angelica 1.2) and it states Bios 8.09 12/30/12

At this time HP offers no updates for this model through Support Assistant

Where can I find out if the Bios has been updated, and obtain the update?

I am running Windows 10.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10, and the BIOS update can be found under the W8 driver section for your PC.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-h8-1400-Desktop-PC-series/5295996/model/529...

8.10   Jan 24, 2013

Since the BIOS update was written to be run on W8, updating it in W10 could permanently damage your PC.

Here is what the BIOS update does...

Fix and enhancements:
- Resolves issue with TV Tuner still appearing in Device Manager when disabled in "PCI Express X1 Slot2" in BIOS Setup.
- Resolves "Secure Boot Manual Logo" test failure.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10, and the BIOS update can be found under the W8 driver section for your PC.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-h8-1400-Desktop-PC-series/5295996/model/529...

8.10   Jan 24, 2013

Since the BIOS update was written to be run on W8, updating it in W10 could permanently damage your PC.

Here is what the BIOS update does...

Fix and enhancements:
- Resolves issue with TV Tuner still appearing in Device Manager when disabled in "PCI Express X1 Slot2" in BIOS Setup.
- Resolves "Secure Boot Manual Logo" test failure.

HP Recommended

Mr. T: Thank you!

Aha! I appreciate the insight, but I have a follow-up question:

I received the computer from my son, who used it successfully for several years. He gave me the machine because of a hard disk failure. (I proved the disk failure by placing it in another machine where it also failed).  I replaced the Hard drive with a new one, and then downloaded the free copy of Windows 10 as previously offered by Microsoft.  I noted a starting problem, which I thought meant I had done something wrong. However, I continued to use the machine successfully, with what appeared as a new failure to start:

It began to start this way:

1. Press start button: machine hums, fan starts and the black Windows logo screen appears.

2. No rotating dots appear, machine freezes.

3. Crash close, then restart by pressing the button again.

4. Machine loads and runs Windows 10 without an apparent problem. It updates very well, and quickly.

5. I never consciously updated the BIOSbecause I could not find a web site to do it.

So are you saying the machine should not run windows 10 and the failure to start problem is permanent?

Since it is running W10 (when it finally starts), is there harm in trying the update  from the link you provided?

Thank you again! LeDoc.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The PC meets the specs to run W10 as far as the hardware requirements are concerned.

It's just that HP does not support it for W10, and has no drivers for it.

I highly doubt that the BIOS update will resolve the problems you are having and I cannot even guess what the result will be if you run the W8 BIOS update in W10.

It may work just fine, or it may kill the PC deader than a doornail.

That would be up to you to decide what you want to do.

Since you got it for free, you don't have that much to lose if it dies and everything to gain if the BIOS update works and resolves the issues you are having by some miracle.

HP Recommended

Thanks again! You helped a lot!

LeDoc

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.