Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I got a new HP Omen desktop today.  

480gb SSD with win 10 and I split the partition into two.  

Then I added the smaller ssd with my  old OS and cloned it to the newly created partition.

I can see all partitions in explorer.
I managed to change boot drive to the older added smaller SSD so it works but I cannot change boot drive to neither the partition with the new Win 10 or the cloned version.

I am confused. Put together many pcs in my life and it is always very clear how to change boot drive but the only options is see is Windows Boot mngr and UEFI I think.  I dont see the actual drives so I can change order.

Maybe I am in the totally wrong place but press ESC to get to bios,  select BOOT options. Try from F9 to boot options etc. but just dont get it.  I must be doing something really stupid.     Any help would be highly appreciated.

Or could it be that the partitions are not bootable and not showing.

Cloned OS to another SSD on another pc the day before and just worked flawlessy.

Thanks! BR, Peter

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

With the addition of UEFI to the mix, things might seem unclear.  In the old scheme of things, it was much easier to do what you describe.

I have not had to do anything with the UEFI boot settings like you describe BUT in the old days I used EasyBCD to fix multiboot situations and it always worked a treat.  They now have a new one that will work with the newer BIOS settings.  A free version called "Non-commercial" on this page, right side.  If you cannot get that to do what you want, try the paid version of EasyRE, from the same people. It is in the same place/page as the "Non-commercial"  EasyBCD but on the left.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

There is also a bootloader editor called GRUB from the Linux community that does similar things but I have used that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Open diskmanager and post a screenshot.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for you replies!
Discmngr image in Swedish though but I hope it works for you.

C = old drive i connected that windows is running off now. If I disconnect no bootable found by bios.
F= win installation came with pc and E just new partition I created. Cloned win installation from c to E
Even if clone didnt work out there is original win installation in F. (and still shouldn't I be able to select any partition just that it won't boot if no boot installation!?)

D = just regular hdd for storage.

Thanks! /Peter

Disk.JPG

HP Recommended

Take it easy. Run cmd (admin) and type: (copy&paste)

bcdboot F:\Windows

This command adds a bootentry to your EFI partition on disk 0 it takes 5-10 seconds

On startup you will be able to select HDD and SSD.

but do not repeat the bcdboot command 

When you have done this type 

bcdedit

and you see the bootmanager and the2 bootloaders

enjoy

HP Recommended

Doesn't that command add bootentry to Disc 2  with F? (Disc 0 is booting fine)
Or all bootinfo on same disc?

Also the clone I want to boot is E  aren't we telling to boot F? (both disc 2)

so run bcdboot  -restart pc and select SSD NY (E) -  then cmd and bcedit?

Sorry for all questions but just cannot afford not running pc at work right now 🙂
Thx! 

HP Recommended

No Sir! You just have one bootpartition on disk 0! (EFI 100 MB)

I don't see that there is a Windows installation on E

If you want E: then type 

bcdboot E:\Windows

That's it

see also this:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Change-Windows-boot-disk-from-HDD-to-SSD/m-p/...

....but just cannot afford not running pc at work right now

The operation you did was very risky! So learn how to use a Backup&Recovery-Program!

HP Recommended

Hi I am back 🙂
Took a break since it is running.

Formated E , made a new clone,  bcdboot E:\Windows seems to be booting from systemdisc C still.
If I remove C I just get bluescreen. Shouldn't it look for win installation on avaible drive then or !?
Verified the WIn 10 clone and files are ok at least.

Right now I have 4 PCs at home that I put together, migrated Win on one of them other week and easy peacy.

It takes forever to boot as well, but could just be C drive low on space I guess.diskmngr.JPG

This is killing me. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance! /Peter

HP Recommended

If you revisit my post - first reply for the problem - it seems you need to take my advice and visit the link I posted about EasyBCD.

That nifty little software will examine the system looking for Windows installs and then guide you in making a new bootloader that will give you access to all of the bootable OS's.  It has worked for me and it is free.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I dont think it is free but thats not the bigger problem.

It doesnt like EFI I think.

on all others PCs just go to BIOS and select which disc to boot. Should be so simple but..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.