Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Start up the HP desktop and it humms for a couple of seconds and shuts down. Starts up again after it shuts down and repeats this over and over again. Probably something simple but I'm not a computer wizard. Had it for just over a year.

Thanks, Chuck

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This sounds like the over load protection is defective.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocp-overcurrent-protection-power-supply-definition-psu,6241.htm...

Normally with overload the system shuts down instantly and does not restart.  With a defective OCP or OLP it restarts and loops until you unplug the system.

Does it quit retrying after 3 attempts?  If so the motherboard BIOS has decided it cannot boot the system.  That is a different problem.

Disconnect hard drive and DVD if any.  Blow out all dust then remove memory sticks.  Put a single stick back in and see if it boots up.  Is there any error code info such as beeps or blinking light on the num lock that is a pattern?

If not then take it to a repair center that handles HP systems.  You did not mention your model or product ID.   If you have an older HP system it might have a standard ATX power supply which means that just about any repair place can quickly test the power supply..  I assume you do not have a laptop.

Contact the repair or tech place ahead of time and see if they can test the power supply with the understanding that if the power supply is no good you will buy a new one there.

If they want a fee just to look at your system try another place.  Usually the fee is more than the cost of a used or reconditioned power supply.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.