Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 20-inch Displays
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently expereienced a hard drive failure. Luckily, I was given the ability to backup files to a USB drive using one of the utilities availble when pressing the "esc" key during boot. I have the computer back up and running and have performed the recovery of the backed up files. The only issue I am having is I am unable to locate the files that were previously under "My Documents" and I do not see many of the pictures either. I am hopeful that I have somehow overlooked something or maybe the files are hidden for some reason. Please let me know if you have any idea if I have any options at this point. Thanks.

Mark 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is a Christmas Miracle - I have located all of the backed up files. They were under the Windows.old file in the system restore pictured. Now I can have a drink. Thanks for your help.

Found it.PNG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Did the "recovery" create a new folder, and then restored your files into that folder?

HP Recommended

Yes, it created a folder named "System Recovery" on the C: drive. There are files 

Here are the two folders under the recovery fileHere are the two folders under the recovery fileThis is the recovery C:  -OS folderThis is the recovery C: -OS folder

HP Recommended

Open that 'Users' folder that is shown in your image.

It will contain one folder for each account that was backed-up.

Open the folder that matches your name.

Open the 'Documents' folder, to find your documents.

HP Recommended

There are no individual user folders shown 

users.jpg

HP Recommended

> There are no individual user folders shown.

Your image shows:

................... > C-OS > Users -> All Users

Go "up" one level.  What folder-names do you see, other than a folder named 'All Users' ?

Somthing like:

Directory of C:\Users

13/07/2009  09:08 PM    <SYMLINKD>     All Users [C:\ProgramData]
13/07/2009  11:12 PM    <DIR>          Default
13/07/2009  09:08 PM    <JUNCTION>     Default User [C:\Users\Default]
13/07/2009  08:54 PM               174 desktop.ini
22/11/2017  08:06 AM    <DIR>          mdklassen
13/07/2009  11:45 PM    <DIR>          Public

???

Request: please use the Windows Snipping Tool to do your screen-captures.  It captures much clearer images.

HP Recommended

Up one.PNG

HP Recommended

Here is the directory at the DOS prompt

DIR.PNG

HP Recommended

Not sure what this means when I run the DIR command at the command prompt :   "<DIR>     ."  

HP Recommended

> Not sure what this means when I run the DIR command at the command prompt :   "<DIR>     ."  

One "dot" implies that this is the current directory.

Two "dots" implies that this directory has a "parent" directory.

Try 'DIR  /A'   to show "all" files/folder in the current directory.

It is strange that there is no entry similar to the 'mdklassen' entry that my computer shows.

--------------

Exactly as described below:

Type:   CD "C:\System Recovery files"  and press ENTER.

Type:   DIR /S /A "*music*"                         and press ENTER.

to see if any file/folder anywhere in any sub-folder contains the string 'music'.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.