Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-p127c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings.  I purchased a Pavilion 510 about 2.5 years ago, worked fine for about 4 months, then hard drive crash.  HP sent me a new HD and USB stick for system recovery.  I've been very busy with work, so needless to say, I didn't get around to reinstalling the HD till this past week. No troubles with installing the HD, but when utilizing the provided USB stick for system recovery, when importing the files from the USB, I get repeated errors at different stages.  I can get anywhere from 14% to 77% completion, before it freezes. I get a transfer file error.  How would I get a new USB system recovery from HP, as the product is out of warranty.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CThruman16 

While it's certainly possible the USB stick is corrupted, it is also more likely that your hard drive is failing -- and that would prevent a full restore from completing.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWOOD,

Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I didn't make my comments clear, but the original HD failed and I had to replace the drive, which I did.  So are you suggesting that the replacement HD is also bad, even though it is a clean HD, or so I would think.  I'm still postulating that the USB recovery stick is corrupted and I need a new one, but of course I can't talk to HP without paying a fee, which is totally wrong, considering this is brand new equipment.

HP Recommended

@CThruman16 

You're probably right regarding the recovery media, but I am not permitted to intervene in that in any way.

And yeah, I understand about the HP charging you to talk with them when your PC is out of warranty, and I can't do anything about that, either.

The cheapest way to get your PC back working would to be to use this link to download and create Win10 install media and install using that:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.