Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp stream 11

Okay hi! So I just bought a used hp stream 11(laptop) and it has a buttload of errors and I’ve tried fixing some but as soon as I do- something else pops up. 

Firstly, it says that it’s running windows 10, but has window 7 features?! It has Cortana + the new start button but I can’t access them? It has control panel and all that old stuff. 

I have the error ”desktop not available” and it’s asking for a location

another one that pops up is “sihost.exe unknown error.” When you click okay on this one the whole screen just goes black except the mouse. 

another problem is “user profile cannot be loaded yadadada” 

i went into the regedit and changed the profile list the (.bak) thing like all the videos on YouTube said to do. And that didn’t work. 

I saw something where it said to get the built in administrator profile up and then delete the corrupted users. And I DID get the built in administrator profile up but it has the same issue with the “desktop not found”

the ONE profile that was working on here(not an admin) is now saying user profile cannot be loaded and it wasn’t before. 

I also tried to factory reset- wouldn’t let me and there’s no backup points to restore to. 

any ideas on how to get this machine working?! 

The best outcome of this is where it works normally! Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying. I did run SFC - and it said that there are errors detected that the system can’t fix. I will try the other links when I get home, I’ll let you know what happens. 

Autumn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.