Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

We have several HP desktops, all are 2-3 year old, all are G5 or G4 models, all are running Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 21H2.

In the last couple of weeks all are developing exactly the same problem

Even when not in use the taskbar becomes unresponsive and freezes - even the clock on the taskbar stops moving. When you click on one of the programs in the taskbar it does not open and at this point Windows Explorer service crashes and restarts by itself thus the taskbar returns to function.

None of the open programs is affected and continues to run in the background. Another way to solve this is in the "Services" to 'end task' "Windows Explorer" and to lunch a new "Explorer" task instead. 

This problem persists and can happen over and over again in the same day without any notice.

I have traced back the problem and I found that on ALL computers affected the problem started right after two "Windows Update" driver were installed:

1. HP Development Company, L.P. - SoftwareComponent - 8.10.4.28156

2. HP Development Company, L.P. - Extension - 8.10.5.34686

Of course - I am unable to uninstall these drivers.

What are these two drivers exactly?

How can I remove/uninstall them - regardless of what they belong to. I rather have a working and stable OS even If I need to lose a HP feature. 

Is there a workaround? 

How long will it take HP to develop a solution for this?

Things I tried:

a. Windows update, HP support assistant, Microsoft Store - all are fully updated.

b. Ending service/task "Windows Explorer" and running a new task with administrative privileges "Explorer".

c. Clear "Explorer" cache. Enabling "launch folders in a separate process".

d. 'sfc /scannow' tool

e.  'DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' tool.

None of these worked.

We have two other computers from a different company yet same OS and all other functions - none of these two computers have this issue. 

Thanks to all in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Our PC user that has been having the problem had a new feature 'Show Search Highlights' enabled. Since disabling this the taskbar/explorer has not crashed once.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Same issue with my HP ProDesk 600 G6

HP Recommended

Hi, 

the same issue here on several HP PCs - ProDesk 400 G6 MT

Taskbar freezes and/or apps such as Word stops responding. In all cases EventID 1002 Application Hang in Application Log is recorded:

<app-name> <app-version> stopped interacting with Windows and was closed...

No solution at this time 😞

HP Recommended

Same issue with Prodesk 400 G7 - help needed please

HP Recommended

Update - Problem still persists. No solution found.

[Content Removed]

Last week weirdly! for several consecutive days, the problem disappeared on most computers by itself!.

Yet last Thursday the problem returned on most computers.

In between there was another update for an HP driver and now the version is:

HP Development Company, L.P. - SoftwareComponent - 8.10.5.34686

I think the problem is only on G5 computers and not G4.

Any other idea for a solution?

HP Recommended

We have the same Problem on 10 devices. Any Solution ?

HP Recommended

Does anyone know how to uninstall the problem driver? It does not allow this from the Windows Update history screen. It's a driver update, but does not say what hardware it belongs to, so not sure how I could possibly find this in the device manager to roll back.

HP Recommended

Our PC user that has been having the problem had a new feature 'Show Search Highlights' enabled. Since disabling this the taskbar/explorer has not crashed once.

HP Recommended

I've disabled that, and so far it's run all day with no issues. Fingers crossed that it solves the problem permanently and doesn't just pop back in two weeks like the last time I thought I fixed it.

Thanks for the tip.

FYI the problem occurred on my EliteOne 800 G6 AIO. I have a G3 AIO, a consumer HP AIO, and several HP laptops ranging from brand new to 5 years old and none of them seem to have the problem.

HP Recommended

I tried this on all of the affected computers and it seems for now that indeed this the SOLUTION. The super-annoying problem problem disappeared immediately.

I will wait another week just to make sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.