Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Here's what happened. I shut down computer at the end of the day. Everything was working fine. Eight hours pass and I see the computer still on. It happens sometimes.  I turn it off, again, and came back about one hour later. Now when I turn it on, there's no picture on the monitor. I tried another monitor, nothing. The computer is still on and the usb for keyboard and mouse work fine.

Since I haven't cleaned the inside for a while I did that (that fixed it in a past problem). Tried again, no picture again. 

I thought maybe the graphic card was responsible so I removed it and connected it to on board.

Of course, nothing. I tried tapping delete on the keyboard to enter bios but of course I see nothing. How on earth do I change it to on board without seeing anything?

I tried troubleshooting from the hp assistant, nothing works. Then the directions mentioned CMOS our something like that. I do not want to damage my hard drive and I don't want it to get me to reset my entire computer so I came here.

I have access to nothing. No passwords or information that I need to log into my original account.

Yes I tried different monitor connections and did a hard reboot. When I hold he power button down it shuts off the computer my graphic card and back fan stay on but the graphic card is going ballistic I never heard the super fast fans it suddenly has.  Holding 30 seconds doesn't turn off the green power light. I have to unplug it. I have no clue why my computer has done this out of the blue.  Yes, when I tried to switch to on board and it wouldn't work is when I recognized the light staying on. All this turning off and on is only damaging the computer but I tried what hp said. No connections were changed when it comes to the power. Obviously that works fine. How do I get on board working with no picture? I put off buying a new PC and this is what I got. Can anyone help? I have an older hp but the usb ports do not work at all so I'm stuck on a kindle.

So if things have been auto corrected, to not make sense, I apologize. This is still overwhelming.

I

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@dessertbunny7 

Some of the more modern PCs automatically switch display to the onboard graphics if they detect no graphics card.  But if yours does not do that, then yes, you are stuck in that you have to go into the BIOS to change settings, and you can't see what you're doing there without a working display.

From your description, it COULD be the graphics card that went bad. As a stopgap, you could see about getting a really cheap graphics card and if the PC display works using that, at least you could then get into the BIOS and switch displays to the onboard chip.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

PC was likely was still running due to a Windows update.

Pull the black screen up again and hit Ctrl+Alt+Del on the keyboard and you should see the normal Windows 10's Ctrl+Alt+Del screen appear, click the Power button at the bottom corner of the screen and select Restart.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

That's exactly what I did for today's trouble shooting. I removed the capture card from my computer with all broken usb ports and put it in the blank screen computer. Turned it on a it registers it turning on then all the power goes off even the green light on back. Tried old computer power cord, did the same. Changed outlet walls, same. Tried using the other monitor, blank. I dont know if it's fried from trying to reboot so much yesterday or what but I guess I'll put the regular card back in.  (Update. Put card back into computer and power stays on now, still black)

With the  other computer graphic card with no power,  I also want to point out that the computer is complely off but all the usbs are lit up as if it's on. 

I tried the control, alt, delete on my windows 8.1, not 10 and blank as before.

HP Recommended

I wouldn't worry so much about the rebooting, I've had PC's I've rebooted thousands of times with no negative effects, I'm not advising that, but back in the day it was necessary.

Anyway, your puter may have still been running because of an update, if the update caused the problem here's a little trick that works:

When the black screen loads again, press the Down arrow on the keyboard three times then press the Enter key twice, your PC should restart. (If it doesn't restart, restart it again pressing the F10 key until you can get it to restart with the above method.)

Then restart it again hitting F10 and you should now see your BIOS screen instead of a black screen.

Go into BIOS and disable Fast Startup.

Exit BIOS and let it restart itself.

HP Recommended

@dessertbunny7 

First off, FastStartup is a Windows option not a BIOS option.  This is a form of hibernation.  The BIOS option is Fast Boot, and that is different.  But in neither case, would I suspect this is the problem.

Second, from your comments, it sounds like no matter what PC you put the card into, the screen remains black.  That's most likely the card.

As I said, I would try a cheap ($20 ?) video card to get the PC back working so you can change the BIOS settings to use the onboard video.  That will give you time to think about getting a better video card and what it might be.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Its hard to use a kindle on these things. What I was trying to say is... I got two HP computers. A is the one that boots black screen. B is the one I cannot use because of all broken USB ports.

I took the graphic card out of B and put it in A. This changed nothing when it comes to the black screen. When I put computer B graphic card in, my power on computer A would not turn on the computer. It would try to start for a second then shut all the power off, except my usb ports that kept my keyboard/mouse lit up. The graphic card from B (after the power auto shuts down gets loud and the fan on the graphic card goes super fast, it makes no sense.)

So I did try another graphic card and that's what happened.  1 second turn on then even the green light is off. Despite having no power the graphic card taken from B and placed into  A, goes ballistic and the usb's keep what's plugged into computer on.

Kindle is changing words so I have to keep editing.

HP Recommended

The way that graphics card is acting can be caused by a loose connection, not being pushed in all the way, or being rebooted after installing the card without all the power being drained out of the system.

You also might want to go back through the whole case and check for any connections jostled loose, just give every connection a firm press.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.