Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pro 3500 Micro Tower PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

I switched off my ever-on work computer accidentally. After that, it is showing the following error.

Boot configuration data for your pc is lostBoot configuration data for your pc is lost

I made a Win 8.1 64 bit recovery drive and accessed the advanced recovery options.

I have tried using the bootrec.exe as shown below, but of no use. again to the same screen with the error code.  

IMG_20200120_195727.jpg

Even after saying Y in the last line of the above picture., I wasnt able to get the system to boot.

This is my work computer and I cannot delete any of the data. I have tinkered with all the BIOS settings but of no use. 

Below is the screenshot of the configuration 

IMG_20200120_193046.jpg

 Any help would be very highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for the time spent on this..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@workdataloser 

You can use the info below to make a USB that contains the code needed to repair the BCD -- it is written for Win10, but Win8x uses the same BCD format, so it will work for that ...

Macrium Reflect is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (in disk or USB form) that can then be used to bot and/or Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD
c) Boot your PC from the MR media -- it will take a while, so be patient!
d) If needed, select the option to repair the Windows Boot

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@workdataloser 

You can use the info below to make a USB that contains the code needed to repair the BCD -- it is written for Win10, but Win8x uses the same BCD format, so it will work for that ...

Macrium Reflect is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (in disk or USB form) that can then be used to bot and/or Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD
c) Boot your PC from the MR media -- it will take a while, so be patient!
d) If needed, select the option to repair the Windows Boot

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you so very much kind sir. I was able to boot back into the computer. 

You saved my reputation in the company. Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

Now my home laptop (on which I made the rescue media is showing two options at boot. 

1. Windows 10

2. Macrium Reflect

How can I make it to boot normally like before ?

I'd be grateful again if you'd help 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.