Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Assuming the DOS version to be too intimidating, look in the HPQFlash folder.  There is a txt file explaining how to use

HPQFlash.TXT

HPQFlash.exe is a utility which is designed to update the system BIOS through
a Windows environment.

NOTES:
1. [Path]\HPQFlash -? will display the available options for this utility.

2. If the system has a F10-Setup password enabled, then HPQFlash will prompt
for the password to be entered before completing the flash process.

USAGE:

1. Close all other applications before launching HPQFlash.

2. On the Windows Task Bar select Start, then Run, and enter
the following on the command line:
[Path]\HPQFlash

3. HPQFlash will inform the user that a BIOS flash is about to occur.

4. The version of the BIOS image in the ROM.CAB file and the version of the
current system BIOS are displayed. Once OK is selected the flash
process begins.

5. Upon completion, the user is notified that the BIOS Flash was
successful. Select Shutdown.

6. Turn the unit back on using the power button.

7. The system BIOS update is complete.

ADVANCED USAGE:

[Path]\HPQFlash -f[Name].CAB

3. HPQFlash will inform the user that a BIOS Flash is about to occur.

4. The version of the BIOSimage in the [Name].cab file and the version of the
process begins.

HPQFlash.exe version 4.40 Rev. A Pass 1

Copyright (c) 2010-2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

While I do not have a business class PC, I have not done this myself, but I would think if you highlight the HPQFlash and right click on it and pick "Run as Administrator, it should accomplish the same thing, if that is simpler for you than the above directions.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you, TheOldMan.  Unfortunately I appear to have fallen at the first hurdle.

The DOS version was very intimidating: when I clicked on the DOS version in Explorer I got an error message that the version there was incompatible with the version of Windows I am using and I should work out what version (32 or 64 bit) I'm using and ask the software manufacturer for the appropriate version!  I've had enough trouble without trying to pursue this through HP!!

When I ran the C:\SWSETUP\SP73099\HPQFlash as proposed, I got nothing to which I could relate paras 3 et seq. under the "Usage" heading in your message.  This appeared :in   Screenshot of Running Command Line SWSETUP file.jpg 

(Please excuse the posting - the web page has a mind of its own and I cannot make it conform to my preferred layout.  It posts pictures wherever it chooses regardless of where I place the cursor)

Am I supposed to open the application and then follow the steps in paras 3 et seq or is something else supposed to have been displayed?

As always I appreciate your patience in this matter and value your input.

All the best.

HP Recommended

I actually thought about what I had posted and wondered if that would be the result.  My apologies.  I skipped a step but no harm done.  Just an extra posting.  I should have said after you get to the screenshot you have posted, right click on the file hpqFlash.exe, pick "Run as administrator"  It should then run the BIOS flash.  If that does not accomplish what is intended then it will need to be done the way it is instructed in the "How to use.txt"  I think my instructed way will accomplish the same thing as this:

[Path]\HPQFlash

3. HPQFlash will inform the user that a BIOS flash is about to occur.

4. The version of the BIOS image in the ROM.CAB file and the version of the
process begins.

If my way does not work then follow those directions.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

After a long weekend break from my desktop, I attempted the update TheOldMan kindly provided in his last post.  I thought I was on a winner when I ran the [Path]\HPFlash.exe as administrator.  However, there was another hurdle I, perhaps, should have anticipated but have to confess that I don't know how to go about rectifying.

I recall that I cannot upgrade to v. 02.4 without first upgrading via v. 02.399 (or something like that).  I'm guessing that somewhere I'll find the necessary HPFlash version but whether it's on my system already or must be downloaded from HP, I have no idea.  I'm afraid the discussion has become somewhat disjointed as a result of my ignorance and I've found it difficult to retrieve the process in proper sequence from start to finish.

Here is the screenshot of my current progress:

Screenshot  of result running as adminstrator.jpg

I shall understand if TheOldMan abandons me in frustration but I would appreciate the guidance if possible.   However, if that is not forthcoming I shall have to acknowledge defeat and resort to engaging a ''geek" to do the job for me.

All the best

HP Recommended

Hi @Jackgeorge15 

I am away from my normal desktop for a week and on the current laptop I am using, I cannot see your screenshot clearly enough to be of any help.  If you cant wait for me to return, I will try to continue our discussion.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

The earliest will be after Wednesday June 25.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello, TheOldMan,

I'm pleased that you are still engaged and prepared to help.  My HP machine appears to be suffering no adverse effects that I can discern and the BIOS update is mandated by recommendations that it should be updated to the latest version prior to updating the OS to Windows 10.

I can certainly wait until your return to carry on learning about my system and keeping it maintained.

All the best

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for understanding.  I'll get back with you.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I'm back.  I looked at the screenshot and could see what it said.  The topic of the THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT CONTAIN THE NECESSARY WMI SUPPORT FOR THIS VERSION OF HPQFLASH. PLEASE USE A VERSION PRIOR TO 4.0 is discussed in this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/THIS-SYSTEM-DOES-NOT-CONTAIN-THE-NECESSARY...

Getting past that message seems to be a troublesome task.  It appears that version of HPQFlash needs some help.  Read the helpful steps in the post from @

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks to TheOldMan for perseverance and patience.  Unfortunately, I - as a (possibly older) pupil - appear to not to get very far at all with each suggestion.

I tried the solution from Eurometal as you suggested but once again fell at an early hurdle and am reluctant to proceed further.  I got into Services via Control panel but could only find the first service listed "HP Framework" which was shown as Disabled.  However nowhere to be seen is the simple "HP Service".   Lacking one component of the solution I was reluctant to dive into trying to get them running.  While the instructions say "...set Properties-->Manual and click 'Start' " I have a rather better understanding of flying to the moon than how to accomplish this on my computer!  Then, even if I were to achieve the "both running" situation, returning to the BIOS updater is another step that I'll have to retrieve from our previous correspondence (I presume)  and repeat the exercise, hopefully with a better outcome.

As for the if all the above fails solution in the "IMPORTANT WARNINGS" section of Eurometal's prescription, I'll need to review the material about creating a USB Boot Disk.  If memory serves, I think I created one when I first got my HP desktop.  I need to rat through the drawer full of USB sticks.

Screenshot of ServicesScreenshot of Services

Hope you haven't lost patiences.

All the best

HP Recommended

I did some research for the DOS flash method, which might prove to be easier.  Here is a thread that @Paul_Tikkanen  advised a user on "How to" make the DOS version USB for the same BIOS files being discussed here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/elite-8300-cmt-windows-10-bios-...

Hopefully following the instructions contained there will be fruitful.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.