Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion p6 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to update bios because I can't find the secure boot for my GPU. Because every time I install it in I just get a black screen and when I take it out it's normal. My is GPU AMD HD 7470  my pc is very bad and I want it to be better  

windows 10 

intel(R) core(TM) i3-2120 cpu

bios version:7.13/ 2011 / mobo ami

plz reply 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

BIOS version 7.13 is an older Legacy BIOS. Older HP consumer PCs cannot be updated from a Legacy BIOS to a UEFI BIOS.

New graphics cards require a motherboard UEFI BIOS.

You need a 8.xx BIOS version to run newer graphics cards.

The graphics card you are trying to install will not work on a 7.13 BIOS.

Regards

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

BIOS version 7.13 is an older Legacy BIOS. Older HP consumer PCs cannot be updated from a Legacy BIOS to a UEFI BIOS.

New graphics cards require a motherboard UEFI BIOS.

You need a 8.xx BIOS version to run newer graphics cards.

The graphics card you are trying to install will not work on a 7.13 BIOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

ah  thanks 

what gpu can i get??

HP Recommended

Hi RedScopeNabZ,

You can do a Nvidia 600 series graphics card.

You may have to upgrade the power supply and verify the graphics card will fit in your system.

MSI makes some newer graphics cards with the option to run the GPUs in Legacy BIOS mode (Link). Sapphire also had some AMD graphics cards which can run in Legacy mode (Link). I believe it was the "X" series. Don't know if you can get these anymore. AMD GPUs require more power than Nvidia graphics cards.

Don't know how hard it will be to find these cards. You would have to check the Net for purchase options.

Regards

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi,

That card should work.

It is a PCIe 2.0 x16 card.

It should be a Legacy graphics card.

Regards

HP Recommended

thanks again boss!👍

for your help

HP Recommended

boss  i got the nvidia quadro 600.... and i get stuck on the start up screen then it says to press the esc   but that does nothing  and then after 3 beeps it goes black screen 

what can i do??

HP Recommended

Hi RedScopeNabZ

That card should work in your PC.

I would try the card in a different PC to verify the card works.

Regards

HP Recommended

but i don"t have another pc am sure it works because i see the start up screen.... but it just freezes 

idk what to do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.