Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1160 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm trying to resurrect my old slimline, which is currently running windows 7 pro. I understand that the free upgrade to windows 10 has expired, but that it might still be possible if I update the bios. Has anyone done that? Recently? And how do I update the bios since HP apparently now longer wants to help?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

What you can try is to use another PC to create the bootable Installation media.

Create the bootable USB flash drive and then run the setup.exe file on your Slimline as I had described in my first reply.

If that doesn't work, try the clean install if you can read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your PC's case.

Make sure you make a recovery image of the drive before trying to install W10.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't find any info on your PC on the HP support site because your PC's model series has been retired in accordance with HP's policy of retiring support for products that have exceeded 10 years of age.

The only place you can find drivers for your PC would be this reputable 3rd party website:

Driver untuk HP Pavilion s5-1160 (driverscollection.com)

They do have a BIOS update file (7.12) if your PC's BIOS has an older version.

I just got the free upgrade from W7 Pro to W10 Pro on an old Dell e4200 notebook.

First, I updated the BIOS before upgrading to W10, since the PC was made around 2008 or so.

What you need to do is to make the bootable USB flash drive with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After the media is created, do not boot from it.

Open the flash drive in Windows Explorer and double click to run the setup.exe file and the upgrade process should begin.

You can still get the free upgrade because of this, I suppose...

Yes, you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade. Here's how | ZDNet

HP Recommended

Thanks! That's very helpful. I'll give that a try

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

@Kirbybo wrote:

I understand that the free upgrade to windows 10 has expired, but that it might still be possible if I update the bios. Has anyone done that? Recently? And how do I update the bios since HP apparently now longer wants to help?

Thanks!

it's up to you, you can try
But nothing obliges to install a bios update, just to have a free version or not, it has nothing to do
I did this not long ago with an old HP laptop.
I advise you before, to make a copy of the hard disk, with a software type macrium, acronis ..
in order to have a recovery option of all the system
It can be more complicated to find drivers then
I managed to get by with this, but not 100% effective, sometimes you have to try
Most driver sites provide original ones only

Find your drivers. Analyze your PC and your blue screens.
with this we can search for different systems, and it works quite well

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks. I tried the windows 10 update before doing any bios update, but it failed, without giving any details. I've read this could be because of the old BIOS, and the BIOS must be updated in any case, since the computer is so old (2011. )  So I will try updating BIOS and then the free windows update.  I don't have much to lose, at this point... I think.

HP Recommended

Hi:

If it still fails after you update the BIOS, you can try a clean install of W10 and try activating it with your W7 product key.

Before trying that approach, I recommend that you make a system image of your current W7 installation prior to updating to W10, so you can easily reinstall W7 if the clean install fails.  I use the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

Boot from the installation media.

You will be asked what version of W10 you want to install.  Select W10 Pro.

Then you will be asked to enter a product key.  Select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 keys in 2022... You still can! - YouTube

HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your attempts to help me. I did successfully update the BIOS, but Unfortunately, when I try to run the Windows Media Creation Tool, I get this pop-up

Kirbybo_0-1660336407503.png

I think that means I'm out of luck. What do you think?

HP Recommended

Hi:

What you can try is to use another PC to create the bootable Installation media.

Create the bootable USB flash drive and then run the setup.exe file on your Slimline as I had described in my first reply.

If that doesn't work, try the clean install if you can read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your PC's case.

Make sure you make a recovery image of the drive before trying to install W10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.