Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 280 G2 - Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home to allow me to use remote desktop.  When I try to run upgrade from the store or USB it tries to reinstall Windows 10 Home.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  Found another article and got it working by adding a PID.txt file to the source folder within the windows install

[PID]
Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

The key is the generic key that can be used for upgrading.  Once Windows is upgraded, use the key provided to you to activate the software

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

So you have bought a copy of W10 pro and use the Licence Key during install?

Did you make your own USB?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

NB: There are lots of RDP protocols and VPN's that may be an alternative, depending on what you want to achieve.

For Instance I use RealVNC to control a desktop on a Raspberry Pi.

HP Recommended

Hi

the problem comes from the fact that the key used is incorporated in the system!
I did not find the link there is a method, you must create a special installation DVD
try this:

https://www.lifewire.com/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-4178259

[edit ]

you have to check, my english and too bad and no time ..
this should be this:

https://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-select-windows-10-pro-edition-during-clean-installation/

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  Found another article and got it working by adding a PID.txt file to the source folder within the windows install

[PID]
Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

The key is the generic key that can be used for upgrading.  Once Windows is upgraded, use the key provided to you to activate the software

HP Recommended

Emoticone et smiley dit bravo

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.