Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home to Pro defaults back to Home

HP Recommended
HP 280 G2 - Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home to allow me to use remote desktop.  When I try to run upgrade from the store or USB it tries to reinstall Windows 10 Home.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supersons
Author
Level 2
11 5 2 3
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  Found another article and got it working by adding a PID.txt file to the source folder within the windows install

[PID]
Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

The key is the generic key that can be used for upgrading.  Once Windows is upgraded, use the key provided to you to activate the software

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 704
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

So you have bought a copy of W10 pro and use the Licence Key during install?

Did you make your own USB?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

NB: There are lots of RDP protocols and VPN's that may be an alternative, depending on what you want to achieve.

For Instance I use RealVNC to control a desktop on a Raspberry Pi.

0 Kudos
Prométhée
Level 16
Level 16
4,958 4,892 541 2,151
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

the problem comes from the fact that the key used is incorporated in the system!
I did not find the link there is a method, you must create a special installation DVD
try this:

https://www.lifewire.com/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-4178259

[edit ]

you have to check, my english and too bad and no time ..
this should be this:

https://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-select-windows-10-pro-edition-during-clean-installation/

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

0 Kudos
Supersons
Author
Level 2
11 5 2 3
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  Found another article and got it working by adding a PID.txt file to the source folder within the windows install

[PID]
Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

The key is the generic key that can be used for upgrading.  Once Windows is upgraded, use the key provided to you to activate the software

View solution in original post

Prométhée
Level 16
Level 16
4,958 4,892 541 2,151
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Emoticone et smiley dit bravo

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation