Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-055xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

ok see we're being forced in jan 2020 to upgrade our Win7 computers to Win10......hate that!  but want to know if this computer is capable of taking the upgrade, what I need to do if so, and where/which is the best place to get the upgrade or buy the software?  anything special short of total backup I need to to prepare machine for it?

thanks, not looking forward to this......

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Who is forcing you?

A complete backup is always a good thing.

It seems as though the PC is capable of running W8.x so that is a decent step towards W10.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-750-000-desktop-pc-series/7779687/model/780...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

List all the hardware and print out the Licence details etc, I suggest Belarc Advisor.

HP Recommended

Hi, @catsears 

You may not have to buy the W10 software.

Even though the free upgrade period to W10 ended quite some time ago, apparently there is a way you can still get the upgrade for free.  See this link.

You may want to take advantage of this before 1/2020.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Looking at the general product specs for your PC, I don't see any hardware issues on W10.

I'm running much older HP Intel PC's than yours on the latest version of W10 and they work just fine.

HP Recommended

hi Paul, thanks for your reply.  I'm hesitant to go ahead and do this now...might wait for a few more months. I've already created the USB.

ok, will all my programs run on 10; will I still be able to open files/folders/pics etc made on previous edition programs (i.e. xp, vista, 7)? still working with lots of those file etc.  still have copy of the office pro 2007, will that run on it also? (have disk)

and will my HP 7510 printer work with it?

have had HP products for years and years, husband has HP desktop running Win10. hate 10, but dont have a choice I guess.

Thanks so much for your help!!! sure appreciate it.  have a great day.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Some programs may no longer work, or you may have to reinstall them.

All of your files will open the same as they did on XP, Vista, and W7.

If you have the Office 2007 installation disk and product key, and Office doesn't carry forward with the upgrade, you can reinstall it.

I am running Office 2007 on a couple of my HP desktops running W10.

I did clean installs of W10 since then, so I don't remember if Office 2007 went through during the upgrade.

It works fine, but there is one quirk if you use Outlook 2007, and you want to use IE as the default browser. When you open an e-mail with a hyperlink, you are constantly asked which program do you want to open it with.  No matter how many times you select Internet Explorer, it asks that question.

See this link for the fix...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3094186/you-are-prompted-to-specify-internet-explorer-when-...

I don't know about your printer.  I don't own any HP printers.

There are W10 drivers for it, so I assume it will work.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-7510-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---C3...

And as  Lil_Boy_Blue posted, you are not being forced to upgrade to W10.

Microsoft will quit supporting W7, so after January 2020, you will get no security updates and Microsoft may quit supporting Microsoft security essentials with updates.  That's what they did with Vista and XP.

So, you can continue to run W7 as long as you can put up with that support going away.

You have a great day too.

HP Recommended

"have had HP products for years and years, husband has HP desktop running Win10. hate 10, but dont have a choice I guess."

AND W10 will support Virtual Box and Virtual Box will probably host W7 without too many lumps, so you can sort of wean yourself off W7 should you wish to want to.

HP Recommended

Hi Catsears,

Adding to the great advice given; you can tame Windows 10 telemetry and install Open Shell (Link) to modify the Start Menu. Open Shell is freeware with no hidden malware or adware included.

Open Shell looks exactly like Windows 7's Start Menu.

I think I am running Windows 7 on my Windows 10 PC!

Paul should be correct on getting the free upgrade to Windows 10. I have been upgrading W7 and W8.1 PCs to W10 for free. Have not done one recently but the free upgrade was working in March 2019.

You could always get a second HDD or SSD. Clone your existing W7 install to the second drive.

Then do the W10 upgrade on the cloned drive. You will still have W7 on the original HDD if you don't like W10. Plus your PC will get a digital license to reinstall W10 until the PC fails.

Regards

HP Recommended

hey thanks, that was a question I had also.  have a 6Tb SSD external, can I do a backup of the Win7 OS on that instead of installing another hdd in the cpu (how to do that OS backup), and if so, then when/if I want to go back, how will I access/use as regular hdd as I'm doing now? (forgive me for not being up to date, but I'm a senior, havent kept up).

appreciate everyone's help and advice.

HP Recommended

you know what I mean by "forcing", they cant leave well enough alone, always have to change or delete a great thing.  and yes, I am very conscious of backing up everything always! learned that lesson tons of years ago.  thanks.

HP Recommended

thanks Paul.  glad to see someone else still uses office 2007, good program, sure there are better, but as far as office 365 is concerned, cant see paying for another office program, dont care for libre.  yes, have orignal disc and product key.  same with printer, dont think I'll have problem with that, at least hope not.  its hp too.

appreciate the advice!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.