Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-In-One (3840x2160, 59Hz)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I am a video editor and have been experiencing significant lags in performance with Premiere Pro on my new HP Envy (serial #8CC0164T4P) - I am assuming (correct me if I'm wrong!) that the main issue is to do with RAM. I am trying to work out what is the maximum RAM to which I can upgrade (from16GB currently) and how I would do this (given both slots are already full, I'm assuming I would have to buy and replace both memory cards). If someone could provide links to purchase and installation options (could I do this myself with no experience or do I need to take it in to a service centre?) that would be wonderful!

Currently slot 1 & 2 have the following memory cards installed: 

Type Unknown
Size 8192 MBytes
Manufacturer Samsung
Max Bandwidth DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Part Number M471A1K43CB1-CTD
[personal information removed]
Week/year 03 / 20

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your PC.

HP ENVY All-in-One - 32-a0010 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Below is the link to the motherboard specs for your PC.

HP Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, Risotto | HP® Customer Support

The memory upgrade info can be found on the above link...2 x 16 GB of memory is supported.

You would have to remove and replace both of the existing memory chips to upgrade to 32 GB.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your PC.  They have compatible memory for sale.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | envy 32 series | HP ENVY 32-a0010 All-in-One | Crucial.com

I cannot find a service manual for your PC.  If I come across one, I will post it in a new reply.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul! I am new to this - do the replacement 16GB cards need to be purchased from HP or should I try and find the same Samsung versions but just 16GB versions? And is it possible for someone with no experience with computers to replace these themselves or do I need to take them to a certified tech? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I recommend that you buy the 32 GB kit from Crucial since they guarantee compatibility.

Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT2K16G4SFD8266 | Crucial.com

I checked Amazon to see if you can get the kit for less on Amazon, but it is cheaper to buy direct from Crucial.

I did find this service video for a 32" HP all in one PC, so you can review it and see if it is for your model PC.

Service Teardown: HP Envy 32 All-in-One PC | HP Computer Service | HP - YouTube

Those PC's seem hard to take apart, so you may want to take it to an HP authorized repair center for them to install the memory.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this, Paul. Yes, it does seem overly complicated for me to install the memory myself. Crucial doesn't seem to have any left in stock so can I just confirm that I need to buy the "notebook" as opposed to the "laptop" kit (assuming this is related to size?) and what is the difference between 2666 SODIMM vs. 3200 SODIMM?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I didn't realize the DDR4-2666 MHz memory was sold out.

I guess you can buy the kit on B&H Photo, where Crucial directs you to.

B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Computers

If you look at the motherboard specs for your PC, it uses notebook/laptop SODIMM memory, and not the standard size desktop memory.

You can use the DDR4-3200 notebook memory as well.  It will automatically bridge to 2666 MHz, because that's the fastest speed your PC'S processor can run the memory at.

Even though your PC is a 'desktop PC,' it uses a notebook PC-type motherboard, so it can retain its thin profile.

I also noticed from the report that Crucial has mistakenly provided a few links to desktop memory, which wouldn't even fit in your PC.

HP Recommended

Oh ok I understand now, thank you Paul!  I can buy the 2666 memory from B&H so will go ahead and do so and then try and find someone to install it in SF. Thank you again for everything!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.